Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Opinions on tankless water heaters, please

Opinions on tankless water heaters, please

We are considering replacing our ailing water heater with a tankless one. I have only one experience with them, years ago, and it was bad -- the hot water quit in the middle of my shower. Are they any better now? Do you prefer it to the conventional kind? Did it affect your power bill? Are they much more expensive? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    Love mine. I never run out of hot water. it cost a little more to install but that beats a pilot light on using gas up all the time.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

KLO
    Blog Entries
    We are on our second one as we had it installed in the current house and had one in the last house. We too never run out of hot water. It heats the water as you need not keeping hot water on standby all the times as with regular hot water heaters. Our current house had the hot water heater installed in a closet in the foyer hallway and it was fairly old. We could just imagine comeing home one day to a leaking water heater and having ruined floors. They are not cheap to install but you will save that money in heating bills. Remember, you are not heating water 24 hours a day anymore. Our only negative with it is that it takes about a minute to get hot water to the kitchen sink (fartherist point away from the heater) and if I keep turning the hot water on and off as I am washing dish after dish, it will start to run cold before going back to hot again. However, we are looking into installing the recirculting pump that will remedy that problem. In the meantime, I just make sure to wash a bunch of the dirty pots, etc. then rinse them all at once instead of one at a time so I don't have the "going cold" problem.

Forgot to say, we never run out of hot water while showering as it just continues to heat water as long as someone has the shower on.

Blog Entries
    my old house couldn't have one. pipes too old or something. sniff, sniff.

We like it and have two for our house.
    Anna Quilts

I just had a Bosch propane tankless put in and I love it. It is in the closet in my bedroom and I remember the old one turning on and off all night and I cringed at the power it used plus with our hard water the heaters would fill up with calcium and we had to throw it out then. Our hard water build up made flakes that wouldn't run out the drain pipe so it built up or I had to open it up and srape it out. They are more money but worth it.
    Lynda

We installed one in our former house and loved it. Never ran out of hot water, wish we had the money to get another one for our current house.
    Sandra

Have one, love it.

We are about to start seriously shopping for a pair for our house. Our heater is getting old and needs replacing and we're trying to modernize our home somewhat, so we're looking into getting one for downstairs and another for upstairs.

A friend of ours has had one in his house for several years and he LOVES it. Theirs is right in their pantry so their kitchen tap gets very hot very fast! That's what I want, so we want one for downstairs (where all the big appliances are) and anther upstairs (where all the showers are).

We might have to get just one, due to cost (we need a new roof too), but we'll see.

Water heater question

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    We are considering replacing our ailing water heater with a tankless one. I have only one experience with them, years ago, and it was bad -- the hot water quit in the middle of my shower. Are they any better now? Do you prefer it to the conventional kind? Did it affect your power bill? Are they much more expensive? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    We researched them when we built our house and decided on a recirculating pump on our water heater instead. We always have hot water quickly even at the remote end of the house without wasting water trying to get it hot. I did not like the idea of taking up space under a bathroom sink for the tankless ones. We put the water heater in the garage where there is a drain if it ever leaks.
    Mary Jane Flikke

I think anything that improves the use of water and resources always are getting improvements.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    My water heater just blew and I considered one for a skinny minute. I could get one from between 200-1100 but to install it, in the same place as the old one was between 3000-5000. That's too much for my budget. The summer months my gas bill for water and cooking is between 25 and 35 and there is no way I'm going to save enough to make it worth that much. My son likes his and I was looking forward to saving the extra space but not at that cost. Good luck. By the way, I priced mine thru Home Depot and was going to use thier installer. A lot of people install their own but on most of them if its not installed by a professional then it cancels the warranty, this was according to the manufacture not HD.

With my 40 gal gas and even when I had a house full of people I never ran out of hot water. I thought about getting a smaller one but they are taller and eventually my kids will have this house and they'll need bigger. When doing gas I also had the choice of different warranties, 6yrs, 9yrs or 12yrs which helped with the price. I went with the 12 yr one. I like gas, and even if my electric goes out, I can still take hot showers and cook and I have gas fireplaces.
    Last edited by romanojg; 10-12-2015 at 06:45 AM.
    Judy

They are great. Also LESS to go wrong (ie:NO leaking). Mine is gas (they also have Pro-pain), the price is a little more to start with. But you save so much and you NEVER run out of hot water (this is a different problem with step son, now I am unable to get him out of the shower), I would never go back. Good luck

The one son has one in his house. We all like it. Never-ending hot water and lower cost to operate, but was spendy to install. since they plan on staying in the house a long time they think they will recoup the cost.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about them. My brother and BIL who would know and researched them thoroughly decided not to get one. I have no idea why they chose to use a conventional one. They both replaced their water heaters last year. They sound like a good idea to me.

We were looking into it until we talked to our neighbor who's a plumber. There are 2 problems for us here:
    1. The water is fairly hard and we would have to clean the crud from it about every 6 months!
    2. We would have to upgrade our breaker box - the smallest one we found here used (3)50amp breakers!!

So make sure your current infrastructure can support it or look into what it would cost to upgrade your service and factor it in. It simply didn't make sense for us.

We had one in our previous house and we loved it. We killed out a Bosch dishwasher because the heater did not like starting with cold water all the time -- it was suggested that we make sure the water was hot in the sink and the replacement dishwasher was still going strong 12 years later. We did not get one in the house we are in now because of cost -- we had to gut the place and replace everything so it got cut.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    We love ours, get hot water on demand, never run out cheaper on electric bill

I wanted to put one in while I was remodeling the house this year. The contractor talked me out of it since my house is all electric. I'm not sure why that makes a difference, but it does.

Our electric company highly discourages getting electric ones because they pull a lot of power when on. They actually put a "demand" meter on the house if you install one, which greatly increases your electric bill. I don't know about gas ones. I would check with your electric company on the pros and cons from the electric usage before installing an electric one.
    Thimble and Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
    Our electric company highly discourages getting electric ones because they pull a lot of power when on. They actually put a "demand" meter on the house if you install one, which greatly increases your electric bill. I don't know about gas ones. I would check with your electric company on the pros and cons from the electric usage before installing an electric one.
    This would explain why during my research I only managed to find one that was energy efficient and all had to be professionaly installed to keep from voiding the warranty. I finally got my electric bill down a few yrs ago by switching out my old window AC units for energy effecient and also bought an ES electric fire place.
    Judy

My daughter has one, but her kitchen, bath and laundry room are quite a ways away from each other. So she doesn't really like it. It would be better if the heater is really close to the use.

We have geothermal. With that you get free hot water whenever the heater or the air conditioning is running. (Air conditioning comes with it as a freebie. So is the hot water.) So over the summer, we need very little air conditioning, but for the other three seasons, the geothermal unit acts as a pre-heater. We love it. Last summer our electric bill for the month of August showed that we spent $1.27 for running the geothermal, and that just might have been for heat. LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

We have one for the kitchen sink, one for the laundry and one in each bathroom. Didn't cost much to install on the hot water pipe in each location. DH installed them and had a electrician wire them to the electric as we are all electric. I think they were $200 each. I have a separate dispenser for instant almost boiling water for the kitchen sink. No power needed to keep a big tank heated waiting for use. The water is heated when you need it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
    Oh, interesting! I'll have to look into that. I wonder if it's a regional thing; my friend who has one never mentioned anything about that.

We just had our first estimate done for replacing our roof & HVAC system and adding solar panels....guess I better start playing the lottery because WOW is that all so expensive! The solar panels might need to wait...the rest really shouldn't.

No on demand electric meter here either. I don't know how the power company would know anyway. The ones we have run on 110 regular outlet. Our electric bill went down after installing the heaters and turning off the big electric water heater. DH had to add a breaker so we could turn them all off with one breaker switch. It wasn't that big an expense.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.