Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OT Ladies do you hate housework like I do?

OT Ladies do you hate housework like I do?

Sometimes housework just gets old for me. My mother told me everything is so easy today. Read what the ladies of the late 19th century had to deal with. It really cracked me up.
    http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/his.../housework.cfm

I never was a Martha Stewart type but I did cook every meal and clean the house and baked a lot from scratch all while staying home raising my three children while hubby went to work..outside the home. But now that I have grandchildren and arthritis in my joints I don't do as much as I use to.

After reading the above article it sounds like we have it EASY compared to the "good old days".
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Banned
    I live alone and rarely do anything except if a friend is coming over.
    How hard our foremothers had it was too bad for them but doesn't effect my dislike for it today.

wow. made me tired to read!!

Years ago, when I was much younger I would take vacation to clean the house. My spouse would take vacation to go fishing. Took awhile but I stopped that nonsense. Now I say, don't clean until you can see the results of your efforts. As in don't dust a clean surface.

I have always been a stickler for a clean house. I spent 4 hours yesterday cleaning the house.

After reading that I think I would have asked to be put in stasis, until that time of torture passed.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 08-02-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Whenever I clean the house, DH asks if company is coming. Does that tell you anything?

Blog Entries
    My DH is the youngest of 10 children and was raised on a farm with a huge 2 story house that had been moved to another part of the farm when his grandparents lived in it. The story is that they jacked up this huge house on big logs and pulled the house across the field with horses or mules to where it stands now. The men did the outside work and the women were in the house cooking on the woodstove!!!! My DH grew up in that house with no running water, no bathrooms except for the "outhouse" and no electricity until about 1954 when he was 14 yrs old. They raised everything that they ate - meat, vegetables, fruit, etc. - his mom canned everything on the woodstove as they did not even have a refrigerator. She sewed all of their clothes including the girls wedding clothes out of feedsacks - even made the boys "overalls". It is so interesting to hear his stories about growing up.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    I love cleaning house if my energy is up and I am feeling well. I do like a clean house but accomplishing this is difficult.

Blog Entries
    I've been where those women were in the past. I tell you, I'd rather be here with my automatic stuff. It took us all day from early morning to heat the water, boil everything and wash it and rinse it, hang it on line, take it down, sprinkle it, next day iron it. Along with that we had to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner. No thank you. I'll take NOW. I was in school, and we had to dust mop the floors, do breakfast dishes,get some semblance of clean bodies, fix our hair, come home at noon and fix lunch, come home after school and iron and cook. Not me!

I like my solution to that everlasting housework problem...a DGD who needs a little extra money each month, and her DGM (me) who is willing to pay her to clean the house...I'm not saying I'm lazy, just housework challenged!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

After over 50 years of housework, I am just tired of it. Clean on the weekends, next day you can't tell it. I use to clean house and rearrange for entertainment. In the last five years I have been tired. I do like a somewhat clean house and won't let it get too bad before I clean. I have a small dog and four cats, litter and hair galore.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Housework?? My house has never worked a day in it's life!! It shows too
    Blessings from Janice

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Whenever I clean the house, DH asks if company is coming. Does that tell you anything?
    Um, it means you live at my house? LOL! I used to be FANATICAL about my housework. Then my knee went nuts & now I can't do it. It bothered me at first but it's amazing how quickly a soul can "adjust"... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    i've never quite understood the statement- I hate doing housework-
    what is he point of hating an activity that is just a normal- has to be done thing- like getting up in the morning & eating?
    you can make it hard- or you can make it easy- but you can not make it done without doing it
    if you get yourself into a regular routine- turn on some music & just get it done- it is so nice when finished- doesn't really take long- you have a nice- clean- healthy home- and then time for other activities you enjoy more. when you don't do it-you stress over it- fret, complain, and hate it when anyone stops by- having to come up with excuses---it is so much easier to avoid all the guilt- stress & frustration & just get it done.
    my hubby & i both work- fairly stressful jobs- lots of hours== we work together at home keeping the basic (domestics) done (that's what he calls it)
    big stuff like vacuuming, the bathrooms & laundry are done once a week- there's only the 2 of us-so it's enough-
    the kitchen is done daily- we take turns cooking after eating we get up from the table- put any food away that needs to be put away- he rinses dishes- hands them to me to load the dishwasher- then i wash the items we do not put in the dishwasher- wipe down counters/stove/table- mop the floor- turn out the lights & the kitchen is done and ready for the next meal takes about 10 minutes- (i only mop after dinner-not after every meal-if we are home for breakfast/lunch everything else is the same-except the mopping part)
    one day on the weekends- he cleans both bathrooms (including toilets/tubs/shower- mirrors/surfaces & mops) i strip & remake the bed=get laundery going & dust/vacuum the rooms with carpet- we pick up things & make sure everything is taken care of before going to bed at night- it's all just part of life- no reason to have (strong-feelings) against a basic necessity.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I lived like that until I was 15 years of age - possibly why I do the bare minimum now...

Blog Entries
    Oh my-I've been feeling like a slacker because I recently gave up doing the floors on my hands and knees.Now I feel like a lazy lump.But I am going to keep using my really cool mop : )

Blog Entries

Housework

What gets me is.. You dust, wash the floor, do the dishes, then 6 months later you have to do it all again!!

I have always hated housework! Growing up on a farm, I'd MUCH rather be outside with Daddy & my brothers, doing whatever, than inside with Mother, cooking & cleaning. That seemed like such a thankless task!! Besides, I got to drive the tractors & talk/play with my brothers, and every day was an adventure! I didn't even mind helping milk the cows, at least until I got kicked!

When I was younger, I'd put it off until it was so horrible I wouldn't even let friends come over! I don't know if I've gotten better over the years or just coped or what, but with just us at home now, it's not that big of a deal anymore.

But yes, I firmly believe that housework is part of "the curse"!!!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Just hire a housekeeper !!!

yup mine says the same thing sad isent it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post

The same with me Learner. I have to carefully choose how I expend my energy every day because of a health condition. Sometimes I get really lucky, and have the energy to clean. It makes me feel so good! Today, I am running laundry, I cleaned out the dishwasher and sink, made up the bed, and mopped the hallwyas and kitchen floor! Yay!

Not fond of housework myself either. I've been cleaning for a couple weeks now because I let it go for far too long. I have vowed not to let that happen again. Think I will take a week off in between cleanings, then start over again. I have arthritis in my knees and hands as well as in my back, so I do need a rest in between. Nothing feels better than a clean house in my opinion. I've glad I didn't live back in the day when all the women did was cook and clean and raise kids. I love my modern appliances and cleaning tools. Wouldn't know what to do without them.

I would never have had a clean house if I lived back then. I hate house cleaning! I don't mind cooking so my husband would have been well fed, but he's live in a dirty house.

"Housework" Do they still have that. (lol)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast