Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OT Ladies do you hate housework like I do? >

OT Ladies do you hate housework like I do?

OT Ladies do you hate housework like I do?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 AM

Default OT Ladies do you hate housework like I do?

Sometimes housework just gets old for me. My mother told me everything is so easy today. Read what the ladies of the late 19th century had to deal with. It really cracked me up.
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/his.../housework.cfm
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 AM

I never was a Martha Stewart type but I did cook every meal and clean the house and baked a lot from scratch all while staying home raising my three children while hubby went to work..outside the home. But now that I have grandchildren and arthritis in my joints I don't do as much as I use to.

After reading the above article it sounds like we have it EASY compared to the "good old days".
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 AM
Banned

I live alone and rarely do anything except if a friend is coming over.
How hard our foremothers had it was too bad for them but doesn't effect my dislike for it today.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

wow. made me tired to read!!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Years ago, when I was much younger I would take vacation to clean the house. My spouse would take vacation to go fishing. Took awhile but I stopped that nonsense. Now I say, don't clean until you can see the results of your efforts. As in don't dust a clean surface.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM

I have always been a stickler for a clean house. I spent 4 hours yesterday cleaning the house.

After reading that I think I would have asked to be put in stasis, until that time of torture passed.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 08-02-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Whenever I clean the house, DH asks if company is coming. Does that tell you anything?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM

My DH is the youngest of 10 children and was raised on a farm with a huge 2 story house that had been moved to another part of the farm when his grandparents lived in it. The story is that they jacked up this huge house on big logs and pulled the house across the field with horses or mules to where it stands now. The men did the outside work and the women were in the house cooking on the woodstove!!!! My DH grew up in that house with no running water, no bathrooms except for the "outhouse" and no electricity until about 1954 when he was 14 yrs old. They raised everything that they ate - meat, vegetables, fruit, etc. - his mom canned everything on the woodstove as they did not even have a refrigerator. She sewed all of their clothes including the girls wedding clothes out of feedsacks - even made the boys "overalls". It is so interesting to hear his stories about growing up.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM

I love cleaning house if my energy is up and I am feeling well. I do like a clean house but accomplishing this is difficult.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM

I've been where those women were in the past. I tell you, I'd rather be here with my automatic stuff. It took us all day from early morning to heat the water, boil everything and wash it and rinse it, hang it on line, take it down, sprinkle it, next day iron it. Along with that we had to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner. No thank you. I'll take NOW. I was in school, and we had to dust mop the floors, do breakfast dishes,get some semblance of clean bodies, fix our hair, come home at noon and fix lunch, come home after school and iron and cook. Not me!