Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Boston/New England members

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Our Boston/New England members

The weather news we're hearing for you all is frightening! Can you get out of town? Please be safe and warm for the duration of this coming blizzard; and be sure to check in with us all when you can. We worry!

Jan in VA, where we'll probably only get rain
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Yea, we are thinking of all of you in New England, New York, New Jersey and PA, and where ever anyone else is getting the big snowstorm! Stay safe! When you can, please send us pics of your snow, and let us know how you are doing!

I agree with Jan! We are worrying about you!

We are hunkered down up here. The snow has started and we could get a ton of snow. We typically don't lose the power so am hopeful about that but with so much wind and snow, who knows. I really feel for the people hit by Sandy. They really deserve some kind of a break.

Thank you. We are not getting out of town. We are prepared with food, batteries etc. if need be.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Thank you all for the concern, this weather is what it is about to live in New England. I'm sure we will be fine and if the power stays on i plan on spending some serious time in my sewing room

Oh no worries! Snow day = sew day!

Yes, please let us know what comes out of this. I'm originally from upstate New York, so am familiar with snowstorms but this one sounds like a doozy. We only had cold rain yesterday as it moved up your way. Stay safe and warm!

Food in the fridge, two wood stoves and a generator. New Englanders are a hardy bunch...more excited than worried about the storm. I plan on sewing today while watching the snow come down (It's already started) and if worse comes to worse, I can sew on my treadle or handcrank machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    The weather news we're hearing for you all is frightening! Can you get out of town? Please be safe and warm for the duration of this coming blizzard; and be sure to check in with us all when you can. We worry!

I live in Rhode Island. Because they will able to predict Nemo (blizzard) we got prepared early. The gas stations were very busy. I went food shopping on Wednesday and they were already out of bread and milk. I found another store that had some. I love the snow but hate when the power goes out, no sewing on my machine and also no heat. Everyone please stay warm and safe during this Blizzard. People in Texas keep your radios on for the tornatoes that are around your area. Will try to keep everyone informed of the storm here. Just starting to snow hard but I am home and safe.
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

We are getting ready.The schools have all been cancelled. I had a friend coming in from Barbados to spend 10 days with us today Friday but the airlines called and cancelled the Miami to Boston leg of the trip. I was hoping she would have made it by the time the storm hit . She would have been fascinated with the storm ,so they rebooked her for Monday with no charges for changing.( At least they have a little bit of heart LOL). Better safe than sorry!

Blog Entries
    I'm in central Maine and it's already snowing quite hard and the worst of the storm isn't due to hit us until overnight. I just thankful we put in a whole house generator in case of power loss. It's now 5 degrees at 10am so I can't imagine how cold it will be tonight with 50mph winds.

Hmmmm. I was thinking of visiting "Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue ridge Mtns!" Instead, I'm hunkered down in central MA, where predictions range from 24"-30" of snow. Since I went to grad school in Chicago and Buffalo (can you say 'lake effect snow?"), I feel I have exceeded my quota.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Hi Jory,

My son and his family live in Jefferson, too. Small world! And I grew up in Cleveland and the surrounding areas so I know what you mean about lake effect snow lol

Nancy

Power Poster
    Well, we braved the masses yesterday in the grocery store for a few necessary items, not the least being cat food as I wouldn't want to deal with my hungry cat - LOL. I saw my Dr. this AM, got shots in both knees, so they should be up for lots of sewing/quilting this weekend as long as the power stays on. Maybe I'll put on a pot of soup to warm us up. Thanks for caring about us though, but then quilters are part of a larger sisterhood aren't we? Have a great weekend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thequilteddove View Post
    Oh no worries! Snow day = sew day!
    I agree!

We ARE a hardy group in New England! I have plenty of food, flashlights, oil lamps, blankets, a small generator, and other provisions all ready in place for whatever mother nature sends our way. I'm actually looking forward to a "sew day".... I might even decide to stay in my pj's and slippers all day!

Thank you all for the concern and it will be interesting to see just how much snow everyone will get.

Take care!!
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

I miss the snow storms we had when I lived in Ma(born and raiser their moved to Fl in my late 40's), nothing like a nice pot of soup on the stove (wood) and watching the snow coming down. Back to reality 80 degres and hot and sunny yuck!!! I have been trying to talk hubby into moving back north, he is considering it, atleast he didn't say no LOL. So everyone stay warm and safe, get lots of sewing done and post pics of the snow when you can for all us longing for snow.
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL

We survived the 1978 storm in RI. We were lucky. One of the few houses in our area tht had gas stove and waterheater. We were able to cook and take baths. My teenagers at the time had lots of friends wanting showers. They just could not dry their hair. Good luck and hope your power stays on.

Hope you all stay warm and safe. We only got rain out of this system and that is why I don't live in New England. I've lived in the Pittsburgh area, the Detroit area, Chicago, and Indianapolis. Now I'm back in Southern Indiana where the snow comes a little and then goes away and that is the way I like it. Snow is a 4 letter word and I have already had enough for this year.

Checking in from southern New Hampshire---
    I left work at 2:15. It is only about 12 miles away from home. I felt like a VIP because I was surrounded not by one or two, but 7 enormous state highway plow trucks- I likened them to the Spanish Armada. Two in front of me setting the pace and making tracks, one next to me, and four behind me.

There has been a State of Emergency declared for the State of Massachusetts. I am close enough to the border that I follow their weather guidelines.
    I get to hunker down for the evening and probably the weekend, and I feel very content about that! We have a generator; cats and quilts; gas stove for cooking.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    We have about 6 1/2 inches already and it is only 6 pm. Nice and warm in the house sewing. About 1600 people are without power already.
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Our prayers are with you all.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Bless you all and keep you safe.

Blog Entries
    Sending warm thought your way. Stay safe and warm.

In Springfield, MA, the snow is coming down pretty good now, with 4-5 inches already on the ground. We expect 2 to 3 feet by morning. It's cold, getting colder, and windy. That wind is howling hard -- and coming through any opening in the house it can, such as the bathroom ventilating fan. The governor has banned traffic since 4 pm (Connecticut roads are closed) except for emergency personnel. The penalty is a year in jail and a $500 fine, but it probably won't be enforced. State and private workers were told to work at home today. We are officially under a state of emergency. We are expected to lose power. The Thundersnow should be starting anytime; that is thunder while snowing.

We are prepared except that, should we lose power, it will be cold as the furnace blower needs electricity. The oven uses an electronic ignition and the only heat will be gas burners on stove. Anyone know how to magnify that? Haven't been able to talk hubby into a wood stove or generator yet. We do have propane camp stoves for cooking if need be. We also have a propane heater, but it isn't safe in the house. We have flashlights, oil lamps, many quilts. I'm headed to take a shower now, while we have hot water, and then to sew. I figure I'll use electric sewing machines while we have electricity and then I have 6-8 homeless quilts to sandwich and baste or tie by the light from the window. We also have plenty to read and plenty of food.

Last year in October we had a freaky snow storm, and the whole region lost power and heat for six days. It was cold, we had massive tree and other damage, and about two feet of snow. That was not fun, but I acted as though I were camping - a favorite activity - and just stuck it out. I got out the treadle machine and sewed by the light of the window during the day.

The power companies had some serious explaining to do, and this time, they say they are prepared. They have pre-positioned personnel and supplies. The Governor has been on their backs, big time. We are hoping that, if we lose power, we get it back soon, but they have said they will not endanger their crews to do so. This could be multi-day event if there are wide power outages, given limited personnel. Today is Day One.

I know somebody who is going to break out her long johns. That is, if hubby doesn't beat me to them, as he doesn't know where he put his. LOL
    Last edited by cricket_iscute; 02-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, we lived through tornado, then a hurricane, then an Ice storm in October of last year, and we are still here in Brimfield, Mass. I don't mind the snow, I just don't want to loose the electricity, because our coal stove doesn't work without it. We used every blanket in our house during the ice storm, lost electricity for almost 7 days. It really sucks when you can't even shower and have to do sponge baths in the cold. During the day wasn't that bad when the sun was out, but it got chilly at night. I did a lot of reading by flashlight and this time I plan on hand stitching the binding onto my extra large queen size quilt. Told DH we are too old for this, hahaha Thank you all, for thinking about us, Quilters are awesome.
    Last edited by Jerseyrayne; 02-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast