Out of Toilet paper again

Old 11-21-2020, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

My local Walmart was wiped clean of TP and paper towels yesterday.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:38 AM

Being well stocked is one thing, which is why I buy the larger package at Sam's Club but that will last months. To hoard is another thing that comes out of fear. The media instills fear in many people so they rush on the store shelves or rush on the banks, the reason of coin shortages is people are not giving up coin another easy way to hoard. The truckers will still brings goods across the country and there is no reason to do a mad dash to the stores and hoard. Get what you usually get, shop how you usually shop and wear a mask and there would be no reason for fear. We all have to do our part. I hope by the time I need toilet paper this mad dash will be over and it will be back on the shelves.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:45 AM

Or perhaps some are banking on the fear factor and potential shortages and are stocking up on $8 packages and then sell them on line for $38?? I've seen that as well. My wife has a couple extra around the house, a tad bit more than usual, but then we don't grab up everytime we go to store. Panic time!!!
Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 AM

I've been under the weather for the past couple of weeks and went out grocery shopping for the first time in awhile yesterday.

Can also report (which I passed along to my Tuesday group) that once again the TP shelves were bare, but that I had gotten a full Costco package on my last trip out 2 weeks ago so our bum wiping was covered and we had plenty to share if needed.

They were also passing out free cloth masks at what I call the big Safeway near me.

Early on we had so many shortages and restricted buying of things. We didn't even have any disposable masks at all until a couple of months ago -- after the mandatory masks in stores order in June. My MIL was complaining about the people who were just littering her regular shopping area with masks, we sure didn't have that problem here...

The CDC tells us that drinking has gone up. Well, I can tell you what I've learned from Covid is that Dairy was unavailable or restricted, but that fake Bailey's from Costco is actually cheaper per glass than either coffee syrup or cream, much less both, and was always in stock...
Old 11-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Our Walmart seems to always be out of something and now they're limiting us again. Some folks trick them by using 2 carts so they can get double the limit. I've been not hoarding so much but stocking up on things I know I use the most. I have also informed my Elders at my congregation that if anyone is in need for paper products, meat and/or food to just ask. We are all in this together and we need to help one another not make life more difficult for those who have less than those of us that are more fortunate.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:44 AM

I was in the grocery last Monday and while there were bare spots on the shelves, there was still a lot of TP. If you have a big family or are willing to share with others, check out buying a case at a janitorial supply company.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:19 PM

At my local Walmart yesterday, there was plenty of TP. For the first time since this pandemic started, Walmart actually had cleaning supplies.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

The reason is the manufactures cannot get supplies to make the paper. When the store warehouses are empty they are empty. Nothing to do with hoarding. Restrictions were put on when the stores realized the supply was getting low and may not be filled for a while. I bought extra when there were plenty to go around so I don't have to buy when the supply is scarce. That is stocking up etiquette.

Walmart had bottles of hand sanitizer marked down to .50 a bottle because they had a Halloween label. So I bought lots, no one else seemed to want them, even the shoppers around me. Did they not remember when you couldn't find any to buy anywhere? Supply was plenty in February, zero in March. It happens in a matter of days. I guess they forgot all about that.

One woman asked was I going to save them for next Halloween. I said sure. I was thinking really lady? I'm going to use them now, at Christmas, at Easter, and even the 4th of July. This is not hoarding it's called common sense.
I'm on my last bottle with the Snowman label from last Christmas clearance. Because I had the bottles of sanitizer to share with family it saved a lot of bottles for others when the supply got scarce last spring.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-21-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:54 PM

When the initial shortages happened and we couldn't find toilet paper or paper towels anywhere, I resorted to ordering cases of the big rolls of commercial t.p. and paper towels from Amazon.

Much to my surprise, I discovered that we like them better than the regular grocery store brands. They certainly last a lot longer!
Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
When the initial shortages happened and we couldn't find toilet paper or paper towels anywhere, I resorted to ordering cases of the big rolls of commercial t.p. and paper towels from Amazon.

Much to my surprise, I discovered that we like them better than the regular grocery store brands. They certainly last a lot longer!
My husband ordered several cases of the very same for his deer camp. He usually comes home with the extra if no one wants to take any. With the guys there now they probably don't know about the shortage again. I texted him and said he might want to give the tp as hunting party favors. LOL