Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
over fifty and knee are hurting >

over fifty and knee are hurting

over fifty and knee are hurting

Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 AM

After I turned 52, I started noticing a small problem getting worse. My knees and joints were really starting to hurt. They did not want to bend, squat or even fold a leg under me...and there was no getting down on my knees. I'm an active gardener and use to walk alot but had given up the walking several years ago because I never had the time. My weight is in the normal range, and I didn't have any health issues. I kept complaining to my friends til one day, someone a little older than me said since I was getting older ,that I problaly had Arthritis( shock!! me that old!!) The next morning I was on my good ol THREADMILL walking 1 mile a day. It is AMAZING! within 2 weeks my knees were 50 % better. Now I walk every morning and sometimes in the evening too. I feel so much better. So for everyone with a dusty threadmill, get on it and walk. Heck with the weight issues! do it for ur mobility.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

This is so true, if we don't use it, we can lose it...
I stretch and walk as much as I can, some days more some less... but it is important to keep it up as much as you can :D:D:D
Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 AM

I walk every day but still have one knee that gives me problems. Can't sit on the floor like I used to - it stiffens right up. And last night, slipped on a wet tile floor and banged the other knee HARD - oh, the golden years (I'm 54)
Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Mom had HORRIBLE arthritis. By the time she'd wake up of a morning she could barely move her arms. After struggling to get dressed she'd go outside and walk up and down the road swinging her arms with each step. Tears would be rolling down her cheeks because of the pain. When I asked her why she did it when it hurt so much she said that if she didn't she'd get to where she couldn't move her shoulders at all.
Now that I'm 57 I understand exactly what she was talking about. I have a house with a lot of stairs that I climb up and down daily. Sometimes it takes longer than other times but it's still necessary.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I have arthritis in my hands and knees. Some mornings it really hurts to get out of bed but I find the more I move the better I feel.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Try Elations drink ! It has helped me some. And yes keep on walking or I ride a stationary bike at the clubhouse.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:42 PM

I see a rheumatologist for arthritis and she told me to take Rose Hips with Vit. C and Omega 3 fish oil.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:47 PM

glad to hear you are feeling better.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm right there with you sister!!! I had one knee that would give me problems the last couple of years & now it's both. Arthritis & degenrative joint disease run in my family.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Yes, yes. Walking is good, and I like to ride my bike, too. Don't forget to move those arms and shoulders, they get stiff too. Gotta keep those joints lubricated.