Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A painted Christmas gift

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Ok, so I lied... it was supposed to be a birthday gift... for a September birthday. oops! So he'll get it for Christmas, lol.
    Sasha's twin brother asked me not to buy him anything, but to make him something instead. He specifically asked for a painting of a ship, and on canvas. I usually do portraits in watercolour, so I had to remember how the acrylic medium works, lol! I think it turned out well! I'm not sure why there's a weird light spot in the sails on the photos where I used the flash, I swear they're all black IRL :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, you are a true artist. This painting is really awesome!!!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful job! I know he will love it!

Blog Entries
    Great job! ....but is that a baby swing in the mast????? lol

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! This is awesome, stunning, gorgeous!!! he is going to be very excited over his gift :D:D:D

Power Poster
    Wow!

Beautiful!!

Great job! I'm sure he'll be very proud of it. My daughter is an artist and it amazes me the talents and gifts all of you have.

Great seascape!

Wow, nice. A sailor's sunset, too.

Oh, I really really hope he likes it!!!
    I think I'll give it to him before Christmas, and something else at Christmas too, that way he can't say I combined the gift. My birthday is the 23rd and I always get a 'combined' gift, or 'combined' party or something. It drives me crazy! I don't really care that much anymore, but honestly, for once I would like to have a 'happy birthday melanie' party, not a 'happy birthday melanie, and since we're all here we might as well celebrate christmas too' party. Ok, so that went off on a tangent, lol, sorry!

Wow! You are amazing!

Mel, you are so talented!!!!

Oh my goodness - that's beautiful. Let's see...for my birthday I'd like.................

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your paintings always blow me away.

Blog Entries
    Wow--how wonderful!!

Beautiful painting Melanie!!!! You have a real talent!!!

That is awesome. Your are truly an artist.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That's beautiful Mel, not only technically but you really captured the 'mood' of a sunset! :-D

Wow, you are gifted. Anyone would be happy with your gift no matter when they get the gift. Beautiful.

Thanks, guys!! I had fun doing it too. The water was a pain in the neck, but it was still a lot of fun :) I should do more painted gifts, they take a good amount of time, but it's more personal than just spending money on something that 1000 other people have in their homes too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    I think I'll give it to him before Christmas, and something else at Christmas too, that way he can't say I combined the gift. My birthday is the 23rd and I always get a 'combined' gift, or 'combined' party or something. It drives me crazy! I don't really care that much anymore, but honestly, for once I would like to have a 'happy birthday melanie' party, not a 'happy birthday melanie, and since we're all here we might as well celebrate christmas too' party. Ok, so that went off on a tangent, lol, sorry!
    Mel, my DS's birthday is also on the 23rd... Why do people think that they can combine a gift for that reason??? UNLESS they have spent twice as much as they usually would on individual gifts!!! :roll:
    Now my son declares the 23rd, "Crossmass" Day," as it is his last name LMBO Maybe you could do the same??? :D:D:D
    When he was younger he chose his own day to celebrate and it was AFTER New Years...so he could have a day and a party totally unrelated and NO Christmas Decorations LMBO

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Mel, my DS's birthday is also on the 23rd... Why do people think that they can combine a gift for that reason??? UNLESS they have spent twice as much as they usually would on individual gifts!!! :roll:
    Now my son declares the 23rd, "Crossmass" Day," as it is his last name LMBO Maybe you could do the same??? :D:D:D
    When he was younger he chose his own day to celebrate and it was AFTER New Years...so he could have a day and a party totally unrelated and NO Christmas Decorations LMBO
    Yea, seriously. It's not about the money spent, I really don't care about that at all, but it's always seemed a little insulting to be told that everyone is so busy with christmas, and has spent so much on everyone else at christmas that whatever gift will just have to do for both. It's like, dude, if you're going to be that way, just shut up and don't say anything. Seems less rude that way, I think anyway. Like I said, it's not about what you get, or how much, or whatever, it's really the thought that counts, but if often comes off as really really rude.
    Or they have so much other stuff going on this season that there's just no time for a birthday on top of it all.
    And celebrating after the fact is just not the same. You wouldn't celebrate Christmas on the 28th to accomadate me, why would I make up a fake birthday for your sake? I was born when I was born, deal with it. If you don't want to come to my damn party when I decide I want to have it, then just don't bloody come! ARGH, ok I'm done now, lol!

Blog Entries
    DS also changed his birthday when he was a kid, so that other kids would be able to come to his party.... And when you are a kid, no matter how understanding they try to be, they still know that year after year they are being shorted/ignored... I finally told people, if you aren't going to buy a separate b-day present for my son, DO NOT buy my daughters b-day presents either!!! DS was always such a kind and sweet guy...it angered me when they hurt him.
    As an adult, his attitude is more like your's is now LMBO

Blog Entries
    On another subject :wink:
    Do you paint of fabric too? I was trying to remember if I had ever seen you do this...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast