Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phony Numbers on Caller ID

Power Poster

Phony Numbers on Caller ID

How do they do that? We have caller ID - I go to Reverse Lookup to see who/what is calling us - and "Invalid Number" is what I get.

One time it even showed OUR name and number calling OUR phone!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hate when this happens. The second part of your post hasn't happened to me yet. I let DH deal with it.

We got a call from a woman who was very angry and told me to quit calling her mother because she was on the do not call list. I told her I had never called her mother, that this was a residence and not a business. She read my phone number back to me and said it was on her mothers caller ID. I told her to contact the phone company, that I honestly didn't know what she was talking about. On our phone a recording comes on when someone calls that tells them if they are a telemarketer to hang up and remove our number. This poor woman was so angry and said " I see you don't like getting those calls, why are you calling my mother? I had a hard time trying to convince her that someone had hijacked our number and was using it to make those calls. I haven't heard back from her so hopefully the phone company helped her.
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    If you Google "caller id spoofing" you will find that there are websites that help you do this! Apparently it's been around about as long as caller ID has been around.

What next will telemarketers hijack next???
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    as far as I'm concerned, they are all fake numbers. some even repeat the number where their ID name belongs. Not that they give a correct name either. I just got done reporting more callers to the Do Not Call List. I take the phone off the hook at 6 or 7 O'clock and back on after 9 O'clock because my hubby goes to sleep early. But they call at lunch time too! (and on Sundays)

We were being harassed by a particular telemarketer at one point. I reported this company and all of the 20+ numbers they were using to Do Not Call. It got to the point, since I was getting nowhere with Do Not Call, that I called the FCC to report this company. Was told by the very nice little man there to not even bothering answering the phone. The company I called about (which I don't even remember now who it was) the FCC was in the process of prosecuting. They said that, unfortunately, because they change names; numbers; locations etc. so often it's next to impossible to prosecute these companies for any number of infractions. It's truly sad. Just recently for a 2 week period I got a robo call every morning between 8AM and 8:10AM - except on Sundays - then it was between 9-9:10AM. Thank heavens for 'nomorobo'. This is a free service. Look them up online and see if the service is available in your area. Granted, your phone still rings one time but then that's it.

The whole telemarketer thing really makes me want to get rid of our landline but DH is not inclined to do so and frankly, I want my 911 location ID readily available instead of hoping I'm pinging off of a local cell tower! Why should MY lifestyle be compromised because of these vultures???

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

I was thinking about getting caller id on my phone, dose that help?

Blog Entries
    Most irritating to me, is that I pay $50 plus for the land line that somehow is open to everyone in the world....I actually PAY for this "service". Sort of like when we all signed up for cable because "There were no commercials"...Now, we pay for the privilege of having 15 minutes of commercial television for every hour!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbshobbies View Post
    I was thinking about getting caller id on my phone, dose that help?
    Most carriers offer caller ID free of charge now, so I would recommend getting it. I like having it so I can see who is calling before I pick up. If it's my daughter's phone number, for example, I will answer right away. If it's a name or number I don't recognize, I sometimes wait to see if they will leave a message (most telemarketers do not). Some telemarketers rig their calls so a false caller ID shows up; that is what we are talking about in this thread.

Blog Entries
    I keep our landline because the sound quality of the calls tends to be so much better than our cell phones. My husband has some hearing loss, but even I find it easier to talk on the "regular" phone than on my cell. The cell is priceless for when I am out of the house, though, and I like having it on me in case of a car emergency (or if someone needs to get hold of me for an emergency).

Blog Entries
    I too had a call from my own number with our name and number listed. The reason they do this is so you will answer the call to see what's going on. If they used their own number you would not answer the call. I just hang up. I have u-verse and when a call comes in and you happen to be watching tv, the name and number shows on your tv screen. If you are not viewing tv the caller's number will appear on your phone.

I just try to not let it bother me. I get the calls on both my landline and my cell. I hang up on all recordings, and say "No thank you" as I hang up on all unwanted human callers. I never press any numbers on any in-coming calls (I heard years ago that your connection can easily be hijacked when you do this - no idea if this is true or not). If I am really annoyed then I phone someone. If I call a friend or family member which I haven't talked to recently; both of us enjoy our conversation and we both get the added benefit that neither of us will get any annoying calls while we are using our phones. Life is too short to fret about things we cannot change.

I have it set up so when my landline rings it shows up on my tv what number is calling and who it is from. One of the better features from my cable company.
    Pat in MN

We rarely pick up the phone - the calls all go to the answering machine. And we have the phone muted. It was way too annoying before we did this.
    Lori

I get this too. They've even used my own number also. I've reported one of them to the phone co. but they still call. We've been on the do not call list since it started, but it doesn't do any good. There was a lady on the news a while back that actually sued one of the telemarketers & won. I'm thinking of doing that to this one that won't give up. I hate it!

Blog Entries
    THanks, NJ Quilter for the info on 'nomorobo.' My husband is checking it out right now. We get many calls...people think everyone is FL is an elder ready to be scammed. Disgusting. We have caller ID and figure that if they want to talk to us, they'll leave a message.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I was wondering if a caller could be blocked by the receiver. If you can block someone on the internet, it looks like it would be possible on the phone.

We also get multiple calls for "surveys". I realize some of them are probably legitimate but I don't knowhow the info is used and whether it is skewed to suit what they want so we don't do surveys at all.

Blog Entries
    Some landline phones have a blocking feature. We have one that will block 30 incoming numbers but now they have phones that will block a lot more numbers. Yes, it's a bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom View Post
    I was wondering if a caller could be blocked by the receiver. If you can block someone on the internet, it looks like it would be possible on the phone.
    Yes, you can block calls on the phone. At least I can with Time Warner Cable. I can block up to 30 numbers. I think most phone companies have that feature. Not sure about wireless but landlines should have it.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Oh boy, my favorite subject! It's gotten to the point where I do NOT pick up the phone for anything I don't recognize. Unfortunately, my brother and a couple of my relatives have unlisted numbers, so when they call me, it comes up as "Private Number" so I won't pick it up. They know enough to start talking into the machine and then I'll answer.

Blog Entries
    Persistent little devils, telemarketers ............back pain, chest pain, diabetes, medic alert, and someone named Roger who gave our number instead of his. Yes we have caller ID however the phone still rings, and rings 4 times before the machine activates. I heard that someone blew a whistle into the phone.........I don't know if that helped or not..........makes a girl be grumpy......calla

I have had my own phone number show up on my caller ID. How do they do that? I get at least 10 calls a week from the recorded message "Card Member Services". If I could ever get my hands around her neck, I would happily strangle her and no jury would ever convict me....at least not those who have been inundated with calls like most of us have. Thank heaven for caller ID. If I get a call that says Private or shows as just a phone number and no name, I ignore it. I wish someone was smart enough to come up with a means to stop these nuisance calls.

What is even more irritating is I got rid of the landline and now the call my cell. Especially irritating is the credit card calls to consolidate debt, that I don't even have,
    Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast