Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: in a pickle

I was also a den scout leader when we lived in Illinois and I loved it. However, we did not sell anything to raise money. This was way back in the early 60's.

When one of my daughters was a girlscout, they were never required to sell cookies, but we did (or shall I say I did - she was too shy to talk to anyone!). What was learned from that ?

My grandsons are in scouts. They sell popcorn. They are not required to do so. 70% of the sales goes to the scout troop. It is really a donation, with a little kicker of popcorn thrown in.

Blog Entries
    I'd have to "just say no.."

Actually thats a tough one to deal with. The poor kid wants to stay in the scouts and enjoy the activities and evidently this scout leader is working that way. I would ask the other parents and then get together and discuss it with the scout leader. There has to be a better way than that to raise money for the kids.

NO they can not do that. Sell what they can.... My husband is a Scout leader. Contact you local council office and tell them. this needs to be corrected.

Unless things have changed in the last ten years, this is not how it was done when my son was in scouts. The boys were never required to sell popcorn and there was definately no minimum.

The scouts would take orders and then the troup would place one order with the local council. When the order arrived the scouts would then deliver the popcorn and collect the money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nana20010
    hi i have a grandson in the bears scotwho is selling popcorn and the dean leader says they have to sell 325.00 in pop cornor it comes out of there pocket is there any den leaders out there and can they do this i thought these thing were to teach our kids resopibelt not how to be monny hungery

thanks for listing to a old women
    As a former campfire leader, I can tell you this is not only illegal, but unethical. You are not allowed to force children to sell anything! Child labor laws in every state forbid it!!!!!! Children selling for fund raisers are STRICTLY VOLUNTEER! Call The FTC and lodge a complaint!

My daughters are girl scouts. In previous years we were told if the cookies that were ordered by the troop didn't get sold the money would come out of troop funds. Right now we have nut, candy and magazine sales going on. My husband and I have already decided that instead of buying overpriced stuff we don't need we will just put money into our troop fund. In the long run it will be cheaper for us because it will all benefit the girls. It will also be less stressful for me because I wont have to keep up with sales, money and products.

These kids are not responsible for the money and no he can't do this! What a jerk!!!!

Don't care for these type of activities, would rather just, donate to the fund, I can see where it might boost the childrens confidence but really most of the items are way overpriced, not near as profitable as it could be with middle man involved, most recent ones here involve putting 10 people you know on a mailing list for magazine sales and win a prize.

Perhaps the SMaster was trying to earn enough $$$ so everyone could go for free? My boy scouts never sold popcorn, not enough went to the pack!Was a GS leader for 8yrs. sold thousands of $$$ ea year, planning a use for our profits ea yr.As the GS were headed to jr high& were going to disband we tracted each girl's sales of cookies,had other APPROVED fund raisers,---ALL the (16) girls earned enough $$$ dor a 3day/2nite trip to CANADA.they went to the falls,maid of the mist,PHANTOM(Tronoto),Parliment,Casa loma, & Canada's wonderland. IT TAKES ALOT OF PLANNING TO PULLIT OFF

OF COOKIES!oops!! Cookie sales went to both troop & to council which in turn supported our local camps.That last yr& a half , our BEST funraiser was---FABRIC COVERED BOXES-ea girl recieved pts for production,for parent help, and for selling the boxes. They were compact boxes that originally held ball shaped IV BALLS (24) for home health care! boxes were free-- all we had do buy was glue&fabric.AGAIN could it w/o PARENTS-they've got to be part the equation.

Blog Entries
    crazee- what are IV balls?

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Quilter
    Unless things have changed in the last ten years, this is not how it was done when my son was in scouts. The boys were never required to sell popcorn and there was definately no minimum.

The scouts would take orders and then the troup would place one order with the local council. When the order arrived the scouts would then deliver the popcorn and collect the money.
    that's how my son's troop did it too! The money the scout earned went into HIS fund to defray the cost of summer camp, high adventure etc. My son usually sold enough each year to do most of his activities with little or no cost to us.Around here kids never have trouble selling the popcorn. yes, it is pricey but when the money goes TO the scout's account I don't mind buying.
    Don't ask me about G S cookies though! You don't want to hear my opinion!

they were softball(sz) shaped containers that home health care RN's would take to people being treated at home that were on IV adminstered drugs. they hung them up& "plugged"you in. My co-leader(RN) worked for one and another parent worked as a pharmacist assistant for the same outfit! The company rep actual offered to get us new boxes from the manufacturer,BUT they went thru so many- never had to ask!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Nana20010 -- I was a cub scoutmaster for about 5 years. It cost a lot of money for all the pins and awards the boys earned, expected, and received at monthly pack meetings and activities. No one wanted to just pony up X dollars for the year's activities, so fundraising was a necessary evil and was generally well accepted by the community even if it was a pain in the butt for the parents. Most people figure the product is worth about 50% of its price, and the rest is a donation. Some parents seemed to think it was all free for their special son. It was a thankless job, much like herding cats. It would seem to be a miscommunication for one child to have to sell $325 worth of product. Perhaps that was for his whole den. In any case, it sounds like a chat with the den leader or cub scoutmaster is in order so that there are no hard feelings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Quote Originally Posted by nana20010
    hi i have a grandson in the bears scotwho is selling popcorn and the dean leader says they have to sell 325.00 in pop cornor it comes out of there pocket is there any den leaders out there and can they do this i thought these thing were to teach our kids resopibelt not how to be monny hungery

thanks for listing to a old women
    As a former campfire leader, I can tell you this is not only illegal, but unethical. You are not allowed to force children to sell anything! Child labor laws in every state forbid it!!!!!! Children selling for fund raisers are STRICTLY VOLUNTEER! Call The FTC and lodge a complaint!
    I think maybe I reacted a little militantly to this thread. I am sorry, I have some serious issues with forced child labor, from my past. I ask you to ignore my statement. All the other statements that I just went back and read them again, make more sense. :oops:

Power Poster
    This is wrong and very threatening. Call your local scout headquarters and let them know what is being done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2