Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pillow Case Dresses

Blog Entries
    are you talking about the ones for donations. Go to sewing with Nancy and go to Nancy's corner it may still be there I seen the program on IPTV

Blog Entries
    Our church group did thid last year - this Year my sewing store is giving material & you sew them there.
    all brands sew & vac in Richmond,va - w. Broad st. Eric & Gayla store

Blog Entries
    I made one for my DGD when she was 2. I wasn't crazy about it. I think they would look better on a taller child. One of the ladies in my church asked me this morning if I would make some for her girls. I don't like to sew for the public anymore, so I suggested some one else.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

I use a 2 1/2 inch strip instead of the bias tape. I fold in half - stitch to the wrong side (armhold section) then turn and top stitch on the right side. I think they look better than the tape. I also use the fill width if the fabric -- this allows for the growth of the child -- it may become a top if the fabric lasts!! These have been sent to Honduras in Maji Boxes.

Hi ,I made these for our church ,to be sent to dress a girl around the world . They are so easy to make from pillowcases .I also made my own pillowcases and made them into dresses .
    Their website is
    dressagirlaroundtheworld.com

They have patterns on there .I made my own bias and made it longer so they can adjust the length that they needed hope this helps .

One weekend, our quilting group made over a hundred of them to send to Africa. We set up an "assembly line": some cutting, some assembling, some doing the bias tape on the armholes, etc. It was so much fun and for such a worthy cause!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Here's a link - pattern is a pdf file. Quite simple. http://www.fabshophop.com/downloads/...ress_chop1.pdf

I made this one out of seersucker for my best friends new baby last year. Super easy and there was tute on youtube I couldn't find it the other day but found a website...http://bumblebeelinens.com/pillowcaseDress.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *Rachel*

I made one for my granddaughter last summer when she was about six months old. I also made little matching bloomers to cover her diaper.

Name:  Tropical  ABC Pillowcase Dress.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  172.1 KB
    As you ramble on through life, brother,
    Whatever be your goal,
    Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
    And not upon the hole!
    ~Optimist's Creed (Anonymous)

What a great idea! I have some poly/cotton fabric that I could use up.
    Dance like no one is watching

I make them. I have 5 granddaughters that I sew for and this is a favorite. I have also sold them. I have made my own pattern and bought patterns. I did one just the other day for my 2 1/2 yr. old granddaughter and did use bias on the arm holes. I think it made it a little nicer. I also have used grograin ribbon, made the tie from the dress fabric and have also put elastic in the front and back casing then attached the ribbon on the end of the elastic then stitched the elastic down. I have used two pieces of ribbon and tied it on the shoulders and also have used 1 piece of ribbion and just tied it on one side. Any question pm me.

This sounds like a wonderful idea. This is a precious style too. I guess one only needs time. I may make a few. I sew for Linus, the Veterans & other donations my guild might ask for. I love to do these sorts of things. Sometimes the day just isn't long enough. Rowena101

I have made several of the pillowcase dresses. I bought pillowcases at Goodwill for $1 or 2. I cut off the top seam and then cut 2 strips to use for the binding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The girls sewing club made them in January. Gotta finish a couple and get them sent out. Sadly, my girls are too big for them or I would make a bunch for them, too. They are quick to make and so cute!

A friend and I made several for an orphanage. They are fun and fast. You can use a pillowcase or fabric. There are several patterns (free) on line and very easy to adjust to make different sizes. Have fun making them

I have made 4 of these dresses in various sizes, very simple to make. I used stash fabrics and cotton trims that I had on hand, the only thing I needed to buy was elastic. There is the link to the free pattern to make the dresses.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/text/pd...ca_pattern.pdf

Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    What a great idea! I have some poly/cotton fabric that I could use up.
    You need to use cotton fabric, it gets very hot in Africa.

I've made one out of a real pillowcase

I've made them. They are super easy and precious on little girls. Google pillow case dresses and you can see how to make them. Machine embroider the child's inital in the center at the bottom and it dresses it. Use vintage pillow cases that have crocheted borders and they look even better.

I made two for my co-worker's little girl who will be 4 on my birthday! They are fun to make!

My friend Connie and I did about 8 dozen, very quick, used wide bias tape for armholes and ties. Nancy's Notions has the pattern free for downloading. That's how we did it.Now they have Little Britches for Africa, to clothe the boys.

I just finished 7 for a church event to send to Africa. I used bias tape for armholes and ties. We added pockets and sent a small toy with each one. Overall our group completed 375. they are easy if you use a pillowcase, just cut off the fold on the end and it is already hemmed. Make a casing for elastic on front and back, cout our the armholes and sew on the bias tape. Done!

I ue bias tape just to really reinforce the armholes. Those kids have maybe one outfit, and you figure that it may get washed in a rough spot like a river or a bucket! I have seen pictures of those kids dressed in rags, and I am sure once the dress wears out, this is what they have to wear. I do whatever I can to make the clothes last. I also do not use buttons or zippers because they may not have a way to repair them.

The bias tape can get expensive, but I recently bought a little inexpensive device that you can use along with an iron, to make your own tape. I plan to cut some sheets into strips, and use those to make the tape. it will only cost pennies. Maybe you can try that too!

There are lots of free pillowcase dress patterns. I am with the other ladies. try Nancy's Notions. Her pattern works really well!

Blog Entries
    I just checked out the patterns on Nancy's Notions website. Very clever way to use pillowcases and T-shirts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2