Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please Be careful!

I no longer have that problem. I did the hitting the pound key several times really fast for the robo calls. For the calls that has some one on the line, I would say "can you hold on a minuet?" then I would just lay the phone down & leave it till they hang up. Also, put a whistle next to your phone & when the call, just start blowing it & keep it up till they hang up. If you really feel like a smart a--, you could say something like. I'm so glad you called. I have no friends & would you be my friend? You sound really cute. How old are you? What color hair & eyes do you have? are you married? If so,how many kids do you have & ask for their ages. If you give me your home phone I can call you later & then we can really talk. They will hang up on you if you don't give them a chance to do their sale pitch. By the way, I no longer have that problem. :~)

I've read it is good to call the area code of the place you order rather than an 800 number since if you call an 800 number your information is more readily sold. You can often look up a company's "real" number online.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    For years now I have used a phony-phone number so when someone asks for my phone number I don't have to sit and explain that it is an invasion of privacy, that you cannot ask me for my phone number, etc., etc., etc. I just give them the number and have had no problems whatsoever. I use it on my checks mainly. And if anyone asks me I just say that there is a bill in congress waiting to be passed saying that we don't have to give out our phone number. That is my private domain and I am the one who gives it out because I am the one that pays the telephone bill, right? So at least I have a good excuse why I don't put down my number. And if it is a totally legit outfit, I will give them my number with the added sentence "This is an unlisted number - if I find that you have abused my telephone number, I will have no recourse than to prosecute you for invasion of privacy." It works!!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I am sooooooooooo sick of the robo calls. I am on every do not call list I can find. SOme days we get 8 or 10 calls. Somehow my DH is on a list where people call wanting to handle his investments. They call from all over the country. I would love to disconnect my home phone. No one calls it that I want to talk to. Dh is self employed and does get the occasional business call on it. He wants his name listed in the phone book.
    The other thing that drives me crazy is the websites that you can't even look at without registering This produces tons of annoying junk email. I use my maiden name and my old email address to register. I also have a fake mailing address that I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    You know, I used to do this too, but one day it occurred to me that while I was making up a number, it was no doubt someone's real phone number. So I stopped doing that and would just put in my own. I guess I got lucky since nothing bad has come of it, but I like the idea of all 8's. I've tried all 0's and sites won't take that. Hopefully the 8's will work.

Use the local time and weather recording phone number. That helps to keep the call count high for that service. Also any fax only number will work. Lots of options available to not feel guilty about.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries

Fons and Porter

Quote Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
    I just registered for a magazine subscription "love of quilting" last night. This morning we started to get calls from MRSI 513-562-1300 which is a tele-marketing Co. based out of Ohio. So someone is getting/selling personal info. They claim they are exempt from the do not call list because they are not selling anything, but then will sell your phone number to others. I do not use my number most times but if I remember correctly, you HAD to leave a number when subscribing.
    Did you advise Fons and Porter? They may be interested that this is happening when ordering their magazine!!

There have been many threads on this board about fons and porter marketing ploys, particularly the unasked for dvd.

Blog Entries
    People who really have a reason to be calling you will leave a message. So, if we don't recognize the number, we let it go to voice mail. Occasionally, DH will answer the phone but just leave it sitting on the table for a bit before hanging up...

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

My DD has a land line for her alarm company, but turns the ringer off and never uses that phone. This is the number she gives out if someone whom she doesn't want to receive calls requests/requires a number. Like others, I just ignore calls from numbers I don't recognize. I agree that Caller ID is AWESOME!
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

My friend told us that when he got a call, he answered and immediately started a conversation. How are you? How's the wife and kids? How's the weather, etc. Finally the caller hangs up on him and he said they never call back.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

I think I read that Fons and Porter publications were sold to the same company that has Reader's Digest. Fons and Porter are only figure heads, have no say so over the publishing company.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

try giving your area code, then 555-1212. I was told that robo calling was illegal and you should
    report them to FCC.

I just had a call about a half hour ago for saving money on my electric bill. Ok, I'll play along.
    Can I speak to the person in charge of paying the electric bill?
    Speaking
    Blah blah blah need some info to see if you qualify. Do you belong (or signed up or something) to PIP?
    What's that?
    Something about some government help for lower income.
    Hey, how do I sign up for that? I pay the bills, but I have no income, so I have to get money from my husband and Lord, the things I have to do to get that money. He expects me to cook his dinner, wash his clothes, go to the mailbox not only in the am for the paper, but again around noon to get the mail! I do...

Whoever it was hung up. The nerve!

If I'm not doing anything, and just sitting here, I answer. If it's a real person, I talk. If it's a recording I wait until instructed to press some number to talk to a real person, and I do. Then I just set the phone down and wait for the signal that the call has ended. It they're going to waste someone's time, I'm going to waste theirs and help keep someone employed.

I need a life. Wait a minute, this one's not bad
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2