Please Be careful!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

We get calls from all over the country. I see them on the caller ID. Politicians call too and leave messages I just delete them.
Honestly what really ticks us off the most is our doctors will not call ua at our family owned business. We are not as lucky as they are, we work 7:30 to 5:00, five days a week.
We have to call them back the next day, unless it is a Friday, then we have to do it on Monday. Most doctors around here do not work on Fridays.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM

After having an extreme number of telemarketing calls from the same 3 vendors with about 27 different phone numbers, and making complaints to any place I could find, I finally called the FCC and lodged a complaint. Their recommendation - don't answer the calls at all - even to get info to make a complaint. I still get spurts of calls but not nearly to the level they had been for quite a while. I was listed on every 'do not call' list known to man to no avail.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM

The do not call list is a joke. We've been on it for years and I've even redone it every year even though they say you don't have to. I get robo calls on a regular basis and my husband gets calls almost daily sometimes from people trying to sell tools. I don't have caller id so not answering isn't an option.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM

I think I saw or read something about the robo calls -I'm guessing those are the ones that are computer dialed- are not covered by 'do not call' because a person is not the one dialing.
I think the robo calls will dial up to 5 phone numbers at a time and when the 1st one to answer picks up it will drop the other 4, so I wait until the 2nd or 3rd ring. But I still get some calls with people on the phone, and they may be ones that have a system that just calls one number at a time. My favorite one is the 10th call from the company that states this is your final opportunity for us to call you... Did they become a new company overnight because I'll get one the next day.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 PM

We all have to decide what level of "irritation" we will accept. We have caller id. We never answer if we don't recognize the number. If it is important, they will leave a message. We are also on the do not call list, for what that's worth! My only "gripe" is that I think the phone companies should provide the caller id service for free!! Since they don't, I still think it's the best $10.00 I spend every month!!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I think I saw or read something about the robo calls -I'm guessing those are the ones that are computer dialed- are not covered by 'do not call' because a person is not the one dialing.
I think the robo calls will dial up to 5 phone numbers at a time and when the 1st one to answer picks up it will drop the other 4, so I wait until the 2nd or 3rd ring. But I still get some calls with people on the phone, and they may be ones that have a system that just calls one number at a time. My favorite one is the 10th call from the company that states this is your final opportunity for us to call you... Did they become a new company overnight because I'll get one the next day.
The ones we get are an actual recording. Not quite as bad, I guess, as a person, since you can just hang up. But it's annoying to have to answer in the first place sometimes and you can't tell them to remove you from their calling list (if that even works-probably not).
Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 AM

Lots of good ideas. I can hardly wait to try some of them. Thanks
Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Bless those who invented "caller ID"...........we don't answer unless we recognize the number.
Amen to that!!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I get calls on my sell phone from "Withheld"! Do they REALLY think I'll answer?? One thing I've learned to do is let it go to "recent calls", then save the number under "don't answer" or "No", etc. Then when it comes on my screen I just reject it.
I, too, have a contact with "Don't Answer" and anything that comes through that is telemarketing, they get saved as this contact. Works good.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 AM

Somewhere I read that when you get one of those calls, just hit the pound key three or four times and it will throw your number out of the system. I do it when I remember, but don't know if it works or not.