Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Poor dog on side of road..... >

Poor dog on side of road.....

Poor dog on side of road.....

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM

I know most of you here are animal people, so I'm sure you can identify with my feelings..... on my way home tonight, I thought I caught site of a dog laying on the side of the dark country road - turned around to see. Yep, an older dog with a collar - he got up and hobbled a bit back into the field when I tried to talk to him (through my car window). I could see that his back leg was bad and he seemed to be an older dog. I went to the nearest house to see if he belonged to them. Nope, and he wasn't aware of any dog like that living anywhere around there. So, I called the police. (Our humane society says they won't come unless the animal is contained) Waited for the officer who was a bit leary, but he assured he he'd call and let me know what happened. (I did have my 5yo with me and the officer didn't want me to wait there) Finally he called - apparently he did get animal control to help and they got the poor dog. And now this just breaks my heart. The owner recently died, and this dog had lived miles from the spot I found him. The daughter was on her way to get the dog.

I'm thinking I'm going to call the humane society tomorrow.... we aren't in a position to take on a dog right now, but I'm so afraid that the daughter didn't want to deal with the dog - how could this older dog have gotten soooooo far from home.... I know, I always fear the worst. This poor pup.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Poor puppy.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Oh my, that makes me cry. He lost his master, and he must have wandered to where ever he could looking for some scent I am sure. I so hope the daughter picks the dog up and takes care of it, if not, she has the humane society do it humanly. He will die of a broken heart, which they do, anyway. Joanie so sad.....
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM

I sure hope that the daughter takes him in and cares for him!!!
He was probably looking for his master and that's how he wandered so far.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Isn't it heartbreaking?! I can't stop thinking of him. Actually I think the officer said it was a female.... I didn't hear a lot of what he said 'cause I was just so excited that he did get the dog.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM

You are a true gem. I had an experience similar to this years ago. I lived in Texas out on a back country road it was raining and lightening streaks lit up the night sky. I kept seeing something wandering around outside, thinking it was a raccoon or possum I set a live trap out and a few hours later I went and seen this poor skinny little wet Chihuahua in the cage. Poor guy was near death the vet told me the next day. I took him home with me fed him, introduced him tot he other dogs. He lived with us for 3 yrs. until he passed away. The vet said he had been on his own for quite awhile by the looks of his little feet and his malnourished body. But he had 3 very comfortable years in our home.
The 3 girls we have now were abandoned and picked up by animal control. We all fell instantly in love with one another. Next month we celebrate 5 yrs together.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

That just breaks my heart. I have made provisions for my dear furry and feathered babies if something happens to me. They need security too.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Glad you stopped. Poor baby.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Usually the animals wind up coming home with us (returned another dog to it's owner, kept an emaciated stray that became a dear buddy 'til she died from cancer, kept a blind kitty for years 'til she died of a seizure from the bb in her skull, and even picked up a near-road-kill racoon that was given to a rehab'er and eventually released), but this one was too afraid.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs but growing up on a farm you find out how they do some things. Sometimes when a dog is old, ill or just heartbroken, they will wander off to die. You can take them home but they'll just go off again. It's not just dogs, cats and other animals do it too---almost like it's by instinct. And a lot of times they lose the will to live once their owner is gone. Just so no one thinks I'm cold hearted, we have a rescue dog that we love.