possible new (deaf) dog

Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Sometime back I asked recommendations/suggestions about which kind of dog I might adopt. And you all had lots of suggestions which I appreciate very much. I finally applied to the English Springer Spaniel rescue group for an older dog. I have been contacted and asked whether I would consider adopting a 9 year old deaf dog. Now my question: has any one on this list had a deaf dog? And did you know the dog before it became deaf (my concern is how to build a relationship with a dog already deaf). How has it worked out for you? Would love some input.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 AM

I've been around deaf dogs. They are like any other dog and will respond to love...no hearing required. The only issue is whether you have a fenced yard or live in high traffic area. An older dog might be less likely to run in the street, but if he did, he can't hear a car horn or you calling him. If your home is such that this wouldn't be an issue...I'd say go for it!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I have seen deaf dogs trained with hand signals. My dogs have all been trained with hand signals and they actually respond better to hand signals than voice signals. I would definately go for the deaf dog. I am sure they are hard to place and if you have a home that is safe for this dog I am sure you will have many enjoyable years with him or her.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM

We knew our double merle Aussie was deaf when we adopted him as a very young puppy. He is also completely blind in one eye and has limited vision in the other. We have no problems with his deafness, though we try to be sure not to make surprise moves around him. He fitted into our extended four-legged family just fine and is extremely affectionate.

I'm sure the Springer will appreciate having a loving home with you :-)
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 AM

I had TWO Boston's one was deaf (APPOLLO),one not perfectly marked(ZUESS) was the last two out of a litter of nine. Got a deal on them for less than price of one. Took BOTH because deaf one was smaller and more timid the other bigger and more outgoing but always seemed to touch his brother so when called one BOTH came: when went out side at night if called one would come and flash outside light and other came got so just turned light on and off and no calling even needed. Was so funny if was sleeping and someone came to visit when woke up would start barking and be so excited would get Zuess all excited all over again so cute They learn to adapt so well we had 4 kids and enough love to go around.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM

The only thing is the fenced yard, that is a must. Should it be easy to escape from, please don't get it. But if this is a sturdy fence and no escape from it, then go for it. Being deaf doesn't mean he or she doesn't need love as much, or even lots more than others.

I think that people who give love to animals that are handicapped are really special people and should be known as high quality loving folks. Kudos to you for even thinking of doing this.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 AM

We have a 6 foot wooden fence around the back yard. And, although we do not intend him to be out in the front without one of us, we live on a very quiet street with little traffic. Robbie (already named and I wouldn't change it) will be an inside dog anyway.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Our deaf dog was trained with hand signels. We didn't realize we were doing it until somebody pointed it out to us (I swear we must be Italian -- we talk with our hands).....Just remember what our vet told us -- talk with a LOW voice (not necessarily quiet)....he/she may have a hearing loss ---- and that's the tone the dog will hear. Good luck -- could be a lotta fun!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM

I once knew a pug that was deaf and blind. Bowser was very affectionate and friendly. This particular dog was also very trusting of all people. It was like he knew everyone was always wanting to help him. Of course, a pug is a very different personality and energy level than a springer spaniel. If you decide to adopt the dog, we want to see pics ;) Good luck in your decision!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Our golden retriever went deaf. It was no big deal in everyday life except for this sad occurance. She layed down behind one of the back tires of the car and DH jumped in and drove over her breaking her back. I am sharing this so you are aware of how inpacked our poor dog and hopefully this would help you to prevent any accidents related to your dog's deafness. :cry: