Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Post Office and FLAT envelopes

I love my po usually. Very nice friendly people who know me by name. I have been in there about every other day or two the last 2 months. 2 days ago I asked hubby to go for me instead. Big mistake. When they are always really nice and friendly to me they were hugely rude to him. They denied my packages. All flat rate envelopes. 2 of them they said were too full... Ok sure maybe. I get that. They were getting shipped internationally...so fine. But the other big issue was that I used more than one piece of tape on it. So if more than one piece of tape is used then they will not accept the package. And these were staying within the continental US.
    I have shipped dozens of the flat rate envelopes. Filled to the brim. I always tape the tops of them up good because I don't want the contents to come out. And when you just use the sticky there are portions on each side that aren't secured down. I also happen to live in the very rainy puget sound area of WA state. I don't want water getting in. My incoming mail is often damp. So I can only imagine the out going is as well. Last time I send hubby to the PO for me.
    All in all just frustrating. Not thick enough for you. Too thick for me. Too much tape. rules rules rules

Probably will be sending two (2) small; 8.5" star blocks to Gwyn for Adrianmom's quilt. She had a thread on it.

I am thinking of using the bubble wrapper-1st class rate, a squishy, right.

Any suggestions for the USPS journey after Jan. 1st?

It seems to me it's all about more money. The rates just keep going up.

Blog Entries
    I tried to use a vodka box from the liquor store to mail my quilt to Charismah to long arm for me! (thanks again "C"!) I was told I had to black out ALL references to alcohol. DUH! the whole box screamed alcohol. Seems in WA state you can't ship booze. OK! But I wasn't shipping booze. Alcohol seems to be FLAMMABLE, too! Cool! SInce I wasn't shipping booze....... Well P.O. guy was nice and helped me find a new box, etc! Explained all the ways to shop blah blah blah..... We finished our transaction, I turned to leave and there must have been 30 people in line behind me GLARING AT "ME"!!!!! All I wanted to do was ship a quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by emmy
    I have been very happy with the PO this 'package' season.
    Me too. Sent 2 boxes of Christmas gifts to DS#3 and family in California by Priority Mail and they were delivered within the 2-3 days as promised. Surprising for this time of the year when there are so many extra packages mailed. Other times of the year the priority mail has taken a week to be delivered.

May in Jersey

someone wrote, "'But the other big issue was that I used more than one piece of tape on it. So if more than one piece of tape is used then they will not accept the package. And these were staying within the continental US. "

Didn't know that about having too much tape on a package. When I mailed the packages mentioned in the reply above one of the postal employees was going down the wait line and applying tons of tape to everyone's packages.

the tape thing depends on the PO clerk's mood. Regulations allow you to put on as much tape as you want, PROVIDED you can still close the envelope the normal way with the adhesive strip. You can then apply tape OVER the closure (which I recommend HIGHLY) and along the edges to reinforce them. Especially if it is fairly well stuffed and/or going a long distance, I would reinforce the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I tried to use a vodka box from the liquor store to mail my quilt to Charismah to long arm for me! (thanks again "C"!) I was told I had to black out ALL references to alcohol. DUH! the whole box screamed alcohol. Seems in WA state you can't ship booze. OK! But I wasn't shipping booze. Alcohol seems to be FLAMMABLE, too! Cool! SInce I wasn't shipping booze....... Well P.O. guy was nice and helped me find a new box, etc! Explained all the ways to shop blah blah blah..... We finished our transaction, I turned to leave and there must have been 30 people in line behind me GLARING AT "ME"!!!!! All I wanted to do was ship a quilt!
    You can always turn a box inside out and re-tape it, to make a plain box. I have also heard of folks using old cans of spray paint to cover markings.

Blog Entries
    Who knows why they do what they do. I have had two Christmas cards not delivered to our winter address and they have the right address. Today I got one from South Dakota and was addressed the same way and got here fine.

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    sad part is I was told the US Postal Service is not part of the US government .. But a private agency. Anyone else heard this ?

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    I have done that .. turned the box inside out and retaped it. I was sending clothes to my grands and a neighbor told me about that (the alcohol thing). So I marched over to the store got some wide tape and proceeded to dismantle it ! My DH thought I was nuts (and he will tell you that to this day !!) but the package did ship andthey so enjoyed their clothes !

Blog Entries
    You BET the USPS is part of the US gov...... That is why they are so screwed up..... No offense to the P.O. workers here. Let's face it - our government is ........................ fill in your own adjectives and verbs........

I really enjoy the local rural post offices. The people that work there are part of the community and basically work their butts off giving customer service way beyond normal expectations. Besides that, they know everybody's name in town!

My P O is very helpful. they will find a box for me to use, borrow tape etc. i send a lot of pkgs. because of out of state family. rarely have a problem.

I wish everyone could live near me. My post office has wonderful people working at it. They always like to see what I'm mailing and help make sure everything is taped to an inch of its life. We all agree that what is inside is irreplaceable.

The standing joke for us is the hazardous question. My answer is always "I haven't cooked anything this time". If I have cooked the guys ask me what the half-life of the goodies I am sending is (since I'm a chemist, and not the world's best cook, you never know).

I will never use the "Big Brown Truck" people around here again. They are rude, overpriced and delivery isn't any better. Tracing packages through them isn't any easier either.

Blog Entries
    Ha, my sister works for PO, too. She is a letter carrier and an instructor. She "Tells" me all the reasons for the rules; then gripes about some of them herself.

Blog Entries
    Cassews, yes, the PO is part of the federal government. My sister told me what they are doing at some post offices is subcontracting out the carriers from a private company. Also at some of the post office processing headquarters, they hire "contract workers" to distribute the mail to the different branches. These are usually the ones who work overnight.

Here's another little tip:

When you mail something in a manila envelope with those metal clasps on the flap, beware! If you use the metal clasp, it's considered a package. If you fold down the flap and tape it close, it's considered a letter!

I think they make rules as they go along. I have never been told this. Usually pay about $.75 for these. The bad thing is there is no one to complain to. I work for the US Government and we can't get away with this stuff. We better be polite and follow the rules or we won't be employed.

Ah, what a cute little bunny picture!

Quote Originally Posted by barking-rabbit
    That might explain why some of my purchases from ebay have bubble wrap and peanuts. It confused me that a fat quarter would need bubble wrap.
    Ah, what a cute little bunny picture!

Blog Entries
    Try mailing cookies to Afghanistan! Our son said they used SPOONS to eat the ones his Grandmother sent. We really packed ours well and they arrived in fair shape but there was wasted space in the box due to packing. I know there is nothing our PO can do after the boxes leave here but it's a real shame the condition they arrive in.

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy

I will never use the "Big Brown Truck" people around here again. They are rude, overpriced and delivery isn't any better. Tracing packages through them isn't any easier either.
    wow, you should have my UPS guys - they are all so nice! and tracking!! every step of the way, arrival and departure -every time it gets handled

- not like "DC" - it MIGHT get scanned in on arrival, it might just disappear into PO limbo....

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy

wow, you should have my UPS guys - they are all so nice! and tracking!! every step of the way, arrival and departure -every time it gets handled

- not like "DC" - it MIGHT get scanned in on arrival, it might just disappear into PO limbo....
    Wow they are the greatest here and I can always trace things online with them. Here PO wants you to pay extra to trace things. I always thought Priority packages could be traced, but not unless you pay extra. I wish I never had to use the PO

Plus, the UPS guys all have great legs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast