Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Post Office and FLAT envelopes

  1. #1
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    I went to the post office to mail 2 small 'packages'.

    Envelope #1 contained one 6 1/2" block and the 7" x 8 1/2" envelope was flat.
    Envelope #2 contained a few FQ and some other small fabrics and the envelope was 'thick'.

    I could mail #2 as first class and apply delivery confirmation.
    I could not mail #1 as first class and get delivery confirmation - *because it wasn't thick enough*. I had to step up to Priority for $4.95 and then I could get delivery confirmation. I was told that people actually put cardboard or something in these flat envelopes to make them thicker so that they could be mailed 1st class.

    This does NOT make sense - why are things so complicated.

  2. #2
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    Because it is a rule that things have to be complicated so more people have govt. jobs!:>)

  3. #3
    Senior Member emc1118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    404
    Wow, that is strange and complicated.

  4. #4
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,937
    Blog Entries
    2
    I discovered that too! It doesn't make anysense to me either! I guess that's how they make their money.

  5. #5
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    You cannot get delivery confirmation on "letters" or anything packaged similar to a letter, whether it is in a standard or manilla envelope. I went through this same thing 2 days ago.
    If the envelope is thicker than a 1/4" it becomes a first class "package", which you can then get delivery confirmation.

    I was told on my fabric postcards I could mail them in the manilla envelope for 44 cents, first class, no delivery confirmation, OR pay $4.95 for priority first class plus .70 cents for delivery confirmation... THAT was not going to happen for each postcard!!

    I didn't find out until today I could have stuffed a wadded up clean kleenex in the envelope and mailed it for a total of $1.20 LOL
    Some people will add one packing peanut to the envelope.

  6. #6
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,911
    actually thicker than 1/4" it could be a large envelope, you can't get DC on that either.

    To qualify as a parcel, has to be

    Over 3/4" thick OR

    Rigid OR

    Irregular (lumpy)


    but why would you want to put DC on an envelope with one block? 80 cents to see if it gets there, if it doesn't get there the PO will not do anything for you.

    Very few items get lost in the mail, save up your 80 centses and you will have nice little fund to reimburse the occasional person who does not receive your package.

  7. #7
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    You cannot get delivery confirmation on "letters" or anything packaged similar to a letter, whether it is in a standard or manilla envelope. I went through this same thing 2 days ago.
    If the envelope is thicker than a 1/4" it becomes a first class "package", which you can then get delivery confirmation.

    I was told on my fabric postcards I could mail them in the manilla envelope for 44 cents, first class, no delivery confirmation, OR pay $4.95 for priority first class plus .70 cents for delivery confirmation... THAT was not going to happen for each postcard!!

    I didn't find out until today I could have stuffed a wadded up clean kleenex in the envelope and mailed it for a total of $1.20 LOL
    Some people will add one packing peanut to the envelope.
    YES that's what he was saying - it had to be 1/4" or thicker and then told me people put 'stuff' into it in order for it to qualify. Geesh

  8. #8
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    but why would you want to put DC on an envelope with one block? 80 cents to see if it gets there, if it doesn't get there the PO will not do anything for you.
    I wanted DC so the people receiving it couldn't say they didn't get it and I'd have proof I mailed it.
    Neither envelope was insured.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ljfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Because it is a rule that things have to be complicated so more people have govt. jobs!:>)
    OUCH! Guess who among us works for the Post Office as a Postmaster! The reasoning for the Delivery Confirmation rules is the machinery that the items are processed with. Letters, large envelopes and parcels are each run on seperate machines that process mail differently. The rules are all logical if you understand how the mail is processed. Anyways, I suggest you use the packing peanut trick to bump your envelope to the parcel rates if you want to get the Delivery Confirmation.

  10. #10
    Super Member katiebear1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    lexington ky
    Posts
    1,282
    Anything run by the goverment usually does not work very well

  11. #11
    Senior Member barking-rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    east of Seattle
    Posts
    430
    That might explain why some of my purchases from ebay have bubble wrap and peanuts. It confused me that a fat quarter would need bubble wrap.

  12. #12
    Super Member Izaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,286
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've all but given up on the post office! My DS lives 50 miles from me, normally if i mail something one day, he would get it the next day. I mailed the sticker for his plates a wk ahead of time & he didn't get it! I went to the DMV, paid $25 to replace the sticker & hand delivered it myself! Then just the other day I got my Fons & Porter magazine. It looked like it had been put thru the shredder! you could not salvage ONE article out of this magazine. AND this magazine was from OCTOBER! Was suppose to be on news stands by Oct 11th. So I should have gotten it in Sept???? Errrrr

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    880
    Blog Entries
    82
    I have been very happy with the PO this 'package' season. Examples: package from FL to NJ - two days. Germany to FL - 10 days. When I picked up the package from Germany, the lady was so nice. "If I give you this Christmas package do you promise not to open 'til the 25th." When I promised we both had smiles & wished each other a Merry Christmas.
    PS. You now have to show a picture ID & sign to get your package.

  14. #14
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    and they wonder why they're gonig bankrupt!!!!

  15. #15
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,773
    Blog Entries
    2
    what??? oh for goodness sakes, the rules they make the clerks obey now are so confusing. for them as well as us.
    no wonder they are going out of business.

  16. #16
    Mimito2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oak Ridge TN
    Posts
    884
    I went to mail my PIF and patterns today. I was asked for every single pkg. Does it contain hazardous...liquid....a whole paragraph.. I finally tapped the pile and stated. ALL these contain fabric and paper patterns, there is nothing dangerous about them. I did however get a very long receipt with the type pkg, city, state, zip code and amount paid on it..and a Hope I see you tomorrow with a smile.

  17. #17
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    crazy

  18. #18
    Sweetness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    501
    I hate going to the post office. Waited in line today for 45 minutes.

    Here's what I ran into today. You can't get delivery confirmation on international mail if you use the priority mail box. They will only do it if you use the more expensive express mail option or the even MORE expensive registered mail option. Within the US you can get it though. *puzzle*

    Also...there is some weird mailing restrictions on sending sewn goods to Italy...glad I wasn't mailing there. She just happened to tell me because I was mailing out fabric postcards.

    And finally my USPS annoyance for the day. Hand stamping is a courtesy and they only do it when they have someone available to do it? I'm sorry...what? There's four ppl working here...I've done it before I don't understand? I was told this by the supervisor who was taking a very nasty tone with me. All I wanted to do was get my fabric postcards hand stamped because I send them in clear envelopes & don't want them returned or ruined. I brought them back home with me I was so mad! I'll put them in a brown envelope & send that way *grrr* I like the clear envelopes because I think they look pretty.

    Somewhere in the world, we lost customer service :(

  19. #19
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I do as much online shipping as possible. My experience with the post office is 99.9999% rude, slow, arrogant, unhelpful, the list goes on and on. I am always pleasant no matter what and when I smile or say "How are you today" they look at me like I'm crazy.
    My shipping this holiday season seems slower than last year. I check my packages and they've not been moving as fast. Don't know why that is but I'll do anything not to have to make a trip to that horrible place. lol

  20. #20
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    I went to the post office to mail 2 small 'packages'.

    Envelope #1 contained one 6 1/2" block and the 7" x 8 1/2" envelope was flat.
    Envelope #2 contained a few FQ and some other small fabrics and the envelope was 'thick'.

    I could mail #2 as first class and apply delivery confirmation.
    I could not mail #1 as first class and get delivery confirmation - *because it wasn't thick enough*. I had to step up to Priority for $4.95 and then I could get delivery confirmation. I was told that people actually put cardboard or something in these flat envelopes to make them thicker so that they could be mailed 1st class.

    This does NOT make sense - why are things so complicated.
    Doesn't sound logical. I've always been able to mail stuff however I wanted. Usually use Priority, but don't see why you couldn't use first class if you want to.

  21. #21
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    but why would you want to put DC on an envelope with one block? 80 cents to see if it gets there, if it doesn't get there the PO will not do anything for you.
    I wanted DC so the people receiving it couldn't say they didn't get it and I'd have proof I mailed it.
    Neither envelope was insured.
    Personally, I'd just not deal with folks like that. Unless this is a business of yours.

  22. #22
    3699quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by ljfox
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Because it is a rule that things have to be complicated so more people have govt. jobs!:>)
    OUCH! Guess who among us works for the Post Office as a Postmaster! The reasoning for the Delivery Confirmation rules is the machinery that the items are processed with. Letters, large envelopes and parcels are each run on seperate machines that process mail differently. The rules are all logical if you understand how the mail is processed. Anyways, I suggest you use the packing peanut trick to bump your envelope to the parcel rates if you want to get the Delivery Confirmation.
    I too come from a Postal family - my dad's hard work as a Postal Clerk got 6 kids through 12 years of Catholic school. I'm sorry most people find it a headache to visit the PO.

  23. #23
    Super Member Aurora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Time
    Posts
    2,129
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    I've all but given up on the post office! My DS lives 50 miles from me, normally if i mail something one day, he would get it the next day. I mailed the sticker for his plates a wk ahead of time & he didn't get it! I went to the DMV, paid $25 to replace the sticker & hand delivered it myself! Then just the other day I got my Fons & Porter magazine. It looked like it had been put thru the shredder! you could not salvage ONE article out of this magazine. AND this magazine was from OCTOBER! Was suppose to be on news stands by Oct 11th. So I should have gotten it in Sept???? Errrrr
    You can contact the mag and some will send you a new replacement.

  24. #24
    Senior Member quilter41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N Indiana
    Posts
    529
    Priority mail is a rip off. You can send a heavy envelope for less than half the cost of Priority. I get so sick of them saying do you want insurance, confirmation, etc. Not long ago I sent something Priority (4.95) and it came back addressee unknown. Called the party and she laughed. DH took a manila envelope put the same addressee & address on the envelope, mailed it for (1.90) and she received it. I will never use Priority again. I will use the Big Brown Truck.

  25. #25
    Super Member mcdaniel023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,585
    Blog Entries
    3
    I think delivery confirmatiion is a joke. Last year I sent a Christmas gift to my dd in NYC. She lives in an apartment so I got confirmation and tracking. She stayed home the day
    it was to be delivered. No package showed up. I went to my post office...called NYC post office. They pretty much said too bad. Couldn't claim the insurance. Because they said she got it.
    Just this week, I sent a package to my mom. Looked up the confirmation and it said "Addressee has moved and left no forwarding address". Called my mom to see if she could talk to her mailman and she said why? She was wearing the apron that was in the package. Just glad it got there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.