Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pre-Fabricated Houses

Just another thing to consider. My husband and I were looking at a higher end modular as a guest house AKA MY SEWING ROOM and found out that there were some financing issues not only now but down the road. At least in this area, mobile homes are specialty loans and are usually not handled by traditional banks - there are lenders who do work with the dealers and money is available, just not from regular banks.

That was okay with us since we would not have needed the financing for long. BUT, it can negatively affect the ability of a subsequent buyer to obtain financing... Someone told us that one mobile/modular home had to be torn down in order to get standard financing on a property they wished to purchase. We decided to hold off and go for stick built.
    Laws and zoning differ from place to place, but I'd sure check out the rules in your desired location, even if you are not planning on financing.

Here's a builder that services your area.
    http://regenthomesbyberacah.com/welc...beracah-homes/

My son and his family lived in one until they bought their farm. I was very nice, great floor plan and well built. If I were to move from our farm I would buy one. They are made indoors and aren't subject to weather when being built.

Small town USA, near SC & NC border line.
    Blog Entries
    Hi, We've lived in a Modular Home for over 25 years. Our manufacture is out of business now, but was one of the few that would offer modifications to the design. We got exactly what we wanted in a regular stick-built home, but for much less. The home has held up just great and we have never regretted buying it. It will be our retirement home! You may want to check zoning laws if you have property, requirements for loans; and especially insurance.

Blog Entries
    I should add that it's difficult to get insurance on manufactured home in FL due to storms. And yes, you need to factor in installing a septic system, water, phone lines, and all that if you're not buying a preexisting or in a park. Fortunately, we are on my parents' property and they paid these fees when installing their manufactured home. We did have to pay for a septic system just for our home, although my dad had one installed that would have easily taken care of both houses. Zoning changed. We enjoy our home and just didn't want more square footage to clean!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Lots of great information here, things I hadn't thought of like insurance and loans would be different. Thanks for all the input!!

We lived in a manufactured home that was set on a concrete foundation for 13 years. I loved that house, we just outgrew it. It was very well made although we did do some upgrades when we moved in, like replace the windows with dual-paned vinyl windows, but other than that, it was just fine. Oh yeah, we also replaced the exterior doors to a higher grade of door.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

We live in a split level, manufactured home (came down the road in 2 pieces). The "seam" where the house pieces are joined runs the full length of the house (we have studs, sheetrock walls, etc. so it is a real house). However, we have found that as the house settles, the two halves are not settling at the same rate and we have cracks in the sheetrock and the foundation (full concrete with a basement). The Canadian company who manufactured the home is out of business (of course), and seeing as it was built in 1983, we have no true recourse except paying for any repairs ourselves. The only other "complaint" I have (and it isn't really a complaint) is when we were renovating, we found the floor and ceiling joists run opposite (90 degrees) from a regular stick built home! Don't know the reason why (a Canadian building code perhaps?), but once we figured this out, renovations became easy. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another manufactured home.

We actually also own a mobile home (came in on wheels in one piece way back in 1973!) and they are constructed very differently from manufactured or modular homes.

Good luck with your decision!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2