Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Frozen Shoulder" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/%22frozen-shoulder%22-t142916.html)

Charlee 08-05-2011 03:20 PM

Anyone else have this? From what I can find out from "Dr. Google" ;) it looks like I'm experiencing this not-so-lovely condition.
Just kind of curious as to what the doc might tell me when I actually break down and go....

Bueniebabe 08-05-2011 03:22 PM

do you need rotor cuff surgery? Mine froze up before the surgery. long story with my employer. After the surgery I had to go back and have it manipulated to break up the scare tissue. I was in pt for 6 months after. This was in 91 and I have been back in pt twice over the years. My employer fought me having the surgery for a year. We had to get 2 lawyers to get it done. They sent me to 20 different doctors before surgery. I still use a arm rest chair at the computer and sewing.

Charlee 08-05-2011 03:26 PM

To be honest, I don't know Bueniebabe...it seems to me to not be the same as a torn cuff...but I'm not sure what causes it...or the treatment, other that I saw a suggestion of a cortizone shot + PT.

CoriAmD 08-05-2011 03:28 PM

Three years ago this past June, I had to have major surgery on my right arm/shoulder (I fell and broke the humorous - (nothing funny about it!!!) clean thru, plus chipped a shard off the back of it and severly dislocated my shoulder - so now have a rod from shoulder to 1/2 way to elbow) :cry:
Anyway, because of having to keep it immoble for so long, I ended up with a "frozen" shoulder which limits me from reaching my arm completely up in the air. I also have limited strength while trying to lift anything with that arm. I try not to let it limit me and can pretty much do what ever I want, just have to be aware of what I am doing.
Do get it checked out though to know for sure that is what you have. You may find improvement with physical therapy.

craftybear 08-05-2011 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get Well Soon

Originally Posted by Charlee
Anyone else have this? From what I can find out from "Dr. Google" ;) it looks like I'm experiencing this not-so-lovely condition.
Just kind of curious as to what the doc might tell me when I actually break down and go....

RenaB 08-05-2011 03:52 PM

Go to a massage therapist!! I am a certified / licenses Massage Therapist and have helped many clients with frozen shoulder. It is not comfortable and will take a several visits but in the long run will save you $ and time.

Good Luck!

Phannie1 08-05-2011 03:56 PM

My friend got a flu shot and it froze up her shoulder. She has been going to phyical theropy and it is helping.

MadQuilter 08-05-2011 04:00 PM

Yes, it is apparently a common condition in menopause and I had it. Nothing torn or broken, it just won't move. Gentle exercise to work through it helps. I never went to the doctor for it and it got better on its own but that is not something I would advocate for others. Hope you get better soon.

TanyaL 08-05-2011 04:01 PM

The last time I had a frozen shoulder the doctor freed it by pressing on a pressure point. 30 minutes after he applied the pressure the shoulder just started working fine.

sisLH 08-05-2011 04:04 PM

Had cortisone shots-total waste of money. Maybe they'd work for you but yes, gentle exercise is what helped the most.