Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Sensative" topic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/%22sensative%22-topic-t154351.html)

stitchinwitch 09-20-2011 05:32 AM

Some of you might remember Jack, the orphan dog who showed up in our back yard and we adopted???? (His pic is my avatar...Well, we had him neutered last week, and when we picked him up, were SHOCKED to see his "package" the size of a bloody purple golf ball.....They WERE the size of 2 small erasers from a pencil. The bruising was all over his private area. We had to put a cone on his head so he couldn't lick, but also couldn't drink or eat!!
It has been a week now, and has shrunken to the size of a ..huge grape, or small hulled black walnut... is still purplish tho. We have had dogs neutered before, and none of them looked like that - THEIRS looked like a buttonhole from the get go..
What I am asking - is this a NORMAL condition?? I asked the vet and they said yes...but they WOULD, 'cause they are the ones that did it - I just need to know YOUR opinions,,thanks...Oh! he is quite active, jumping and carrying on, so it doesn't see to bother him...

laughingquilter 09-20-2011 05:38 AM

I had a similar experience with my Shih Tzu, Jasper. Nothing like that at all when I had Rowdy neutered. I wondered if 1) it was because Jasper was older when I had him neutered (he was over a year old where Rowdy was only 10 weeks) or if 2) it was because Jasper, too, was really active - wouldn't lay still, kept jumping, etc. The swelling did go down and now there's no difference between the two but it sure was worrisome.

bearisgray 09-20-2011 05:40 AM

I would be concerned - much as one hates to spend the extra money, one could go to another vet for another opinion.

stitchinwitch 09-20-2011 05:48 AM

Thanks for the tips -first tho - laughing..I LOVE your avatar - it is beautiful!! Jack is only about a year old. The first vet we went to in May said he was a year then - but this vet said he is only 10-12 months old NOW. So who knows? We are taking him in to get more antibiotics just in case. He is SUCH a loving, sweet dog!

auntpiggylpn 09-20-2011 05:48 AM

I am currently in school to become a Registered Vet Tech. In my clinicals, I have seen many neuterings! The way they remove the testicles would definately cause swelling and bruising. I have been lucky to be back at the same clinic when the owners brought there pet in for post op check and yes, this is normal. It can be very disconcerting to see the bruising and swelling and all animals lick their wounds, sometimes to the extent of more damage. Unless this vet clinic is a shoddy one, the vet is not going to lie to you about your pet or his condition.

sandybeach 09-20-2011 06:28 AM

I had the same thing happen with one of my female cats. Her whole stomach turned dark purple. The vet sait it was because she came out of the anastesia too quickly and was jumping around too much.

suebee 09-20-2011 08:27 AM

Thats horrible. Poor baby.

Originally Posted by sandybeach
I had the same thing happen with one of my female cats. Her whole stomach turned dark purple. The vet sait it was because she came out of the anastesia too quickly and was jumping around too much.

sarahconner 09-20-2011 04:04 PM

I don't know, but your dog is so cute

amandasgramma 09-20-2011 05:00 PM

Although the vet technician in training says it's normal....I'd imagine we don't see it often!!!! I suspect it was caused by rough handling at the incision and/or bleeding under the skin. Bleeding under the skin can be caused by giving blood at the doctors (for us)...I know -- it happened to me and my inner elbow swole up like a tennis ball and bruised horribly!

nativetexan 09-20-2011 05:01 PM

Heavens, i would have taken him straight to another Vet right away. jeesh.