Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   $35.00 for a haircut?!?!!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/%2435-00-haircut-t161510.html)

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 03:55 AM

shops such as 'super cuts' advertise 9.99. and there's a beauty school down the road that charges 8.00. of course, there are places that do charge the $35. but no one i know goes there

harvsstuff 10-19-2011 04:00 AM

My DH cuts mine. Its not so much how much they charge but most dont do a good job. DH's cuts mine as good as they do and its cheaper!

noveltyjunkie 10-19-2011 04:04 AM

It costs a lot more than that where I live!!

scowlkat 10-19-2011 04:04 AM

I go to Smart Style in the local Wal-Mart but only because the lady who cuts my hair works there now. It costs about $20 including a $5 tip. However, now that I am about to be out on my own and on a very strict budget, I have decided to let my hair grow. I am sure it will be miserable as I have very thick hair, but you do what you have to in these times.

grann of 6 10-19-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
I am out of touch!~I went to get my hair cut today at a local salon and it is $35.00!!!~ No color. My hair is not long. Just a regular haircut. What in the world?!?! This is the normal rate around here. It doesn't take more than 30 minutes.
I made the appointment and then called back and canceled. I will not pay this. I'll cut it myself. I already went to "washing that gray right out of my hair" MYSELF... What about where you live?

Nope! Won't do it. I go to Great Clips and get my hair cut for $10 (senior citizen price) and no appointment. Takes me 20 minutes at the most counting waiting in the lobby for maybe 5 minutes. I wash it before I go and hair spray it when I get home. Works for me. And I don't like chemicals on my body so I won't do anything with any gray that happens along. I would rather be healthy and have money for quilting fabric than spend it on expensive salon visits. I am just not that vain.

qbquilts 10-19-2011 04:09 AM

I pay $30 plus tip and only go about once a year. She operates out of her house, so that eliminates at least some of her overhead expenses.

quilt1950 10-19-2011 04:20 AM

I pay $28.00 plus tip. I've tried Super Cuts and Great Clips, and always had horrible hair cuts. For $28.00 I get a cut that's easy for me to maintain. I should go every 6 weeks, but stretch it to 7 weeks. I'd love to stretch it to 8 weeks, but just can't do it.

jbud2 10-19-2011 04:21 AM

That's what I pay and I don't mind a bit. She does a good job and has the training, and continued training, to keep on top of things. She has to pay rent, insurance and supplies, plus her schooling. And I always get compliments on my hairstyle!

Kat Sews 10-19-2011 04:29 AM

I paid $8.00 plus tip this week for a fantastic hair cut. I went to the local barber shop. They don't do the wash and style like the salons do, but I have to do that myself every day anyway. Took my mom there for a cut last time she was here and she loved the cut, best she has had in years.

SouthPStitches 10-19-2011 04:33 AM

Yikes, had no idea what the going rates for a haircut is in other parts of the county. I pay $18 and give her a generous tip. Guess I can add this to my count of blessings