Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   1910 Singer Value? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/1910-singer-value-t256273.html)

joyce blint 11-03-2014 08:26 AM

1910 Singer Value?

Where would I look for the value of an old Singer sewing machine? My sister bought a 1910 Singer in the wooden dome cover. The decals are "like new" and the machine sews perfectly. Now she decides she wants to sell it. Where would we find how much it's worth?

Quilter 53 11-03-2014 09:12 AM

Really, it's worth what ever some one will pay for it, but need to know the model. Check your local Craig's List or eBay site or thrift store to compare. Sure she doesn't want to use it? I have a Singer model 99, made in 1934, and I LOVE how it sews. Better than my more "modern" machines.

Prism99 11-03-2014 09:39 AM

You can find the model number by Googling "vintage Singer sewing machine", then click on "images". Match this sewing machine to a photo to learn more about it.

Is this a "portable" Singer in the dome case? They are not terribly popular because of the weight (always support the case from below when carrying it, as the machine can actually fall out of the dome case). Where I live, you might get $50 for one that is in pristine working condition as you describe; most would sell for around $30. A cabinet machine would be priced differently, as beautiful cabinets are worth more. Be aware that my pricing is for the usual vintage Singer machine. There are some vintage models that are worth a lot more because they are rare. This is why you really need to know the model number of the machine; the years it is made does not provide enough info.

joyce blint 11-04-2014 09:09 AM

the # on it is G7108919. catalog # B.T. 293438. 45amps, 110-115 volts.

Prism99 11-04-2014 09:40 AM

Can you post a photo so someone can identify the model # for you? The info provided is not enough to determine what model it is.

joyce blint 11-04-2014 10:04 AM

It's at sister's. will try to.

Sewnoma 11-04-2014 01:07 PM

I looked up your serial number here: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...l-numbers.html

And according to that chart, it's a Singer 128, released in a batch of 25,000 on May 23,1919.

I'm not really sure of the value; if it has rare decals it'll be worth more. But there were so many of those machines made, and they were built like tanks, so there are still several thousand of them knocking around in the world. Rarity makes value, and so most of them are NOT rare and not worth the fortune it seems it should be.

The domed wooden case increases the value, assuming it's in good shape. Rare decals in good condition will increase the value. Lots of accessories also helps.

Look at eBay for SOLD Singer 128's and see if you can judge from that. I see a lot of ended listings in the $100-150 range with no buyers, on machines that look quite nice.

maviskw 11-05-2014 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6956356)
I looked up your serial number here: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...l-numbers.html

And according to that chart, it's a Singer 128, released in a batch of 25,000 on May 23,1919.

I'm not really sure of the value; if it has rare decals it'll be worth more. But there were so many of those machines made, and they were built like tanks, so there are still several thousand of them knocking around in the world. Rarity makes value, and so most of them are NOT rare and not worth the fortune it seems it should be.

The domed wooden case increases the value, assuming it's in good shape. Rare decals in good condition will increase the value. Lots of accessories also helps.

Look at eBay for SOLD Singer 128's and see if you can judge from that. I see a lot of ended listings in the $100-150 range with no buyers, on machines that look quite nice.

I have a Singer 128 that someone GAVE me. Mine was "born" March 19, 1924. Runs beautifully with a knee control. But there is a burr somewhere that catches the thread every 6 to 12 inches. I'm willing to use it like that, but my repair man wants to find out what is doing that'

As for the treadle machine being worth more, they are only worth more if you are going to actually use it a lot. Most collectors prefer the portables because they have no more room in their house for another piece of furniture. They would be willing to pay more for a good bentwood case. Mine is not in the best of condition and my decals are pretty beat up. There are ways to fix those things, but I don't know when I will take the time to do that.

ManiacQuilter2 11-05-2014 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 (Post 6954811)
Really, it's worth what ever some one will pay for it, but need to know the model. Check your local Craig's List or eBay site or thrift store to compare. Sure she doesn't want to use it? I have a Singer model 99, made in 1934, and I LOVE how it sews. Better than my more "modern" machines.

I agree. It is ONLY worth what someone wants to pay for it. Condition is important.

Hummer Lady 11-05-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6956356)

I just paid $80 for a 1919 128 hand crank and felt that was a very fair price, as on Ebay HCs are in the $200+ range.