Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   2 questions about Windows 10 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/2-questions-about-windows-10-a-t274047.html)

LavenderBlue 01-03-2016 11:04 AM

2 questions about Windows 10

I sure wish we had reversed the installation of Windows 10 when we could. There are two functions I do not know how to do in it: copy and paste and printing a selected text. I know someone here has them figured out. ;-) THX!

Prism99 01-03-2016 01:18 PM

I have used the same method for cutting and pasting through many versions of Windows, including Windows 10. I select the text first (hold down the left key of the mouse to highlight selected text in blue), hold down the ctrl and c keys together to cut (cuts the selected text), then hold down the ctrl and v keys together to paste the text where I want it.

For printing, I typically just click the right key of the mouse to bring up a menu that allows me to select "print". If it's a multi-page document, I can select to print just the pages I want.

My method for printing selected text is usually to highlight the text first (as above), cut and paste into a Word document, then print the word document. There may be easier ways to do that, though.

Edit: I often Google to find out how to do different things. I just Googled "how to print selected text in windows 10" and came up with this website (among others):
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/uncat...rom-web-pages/

LavenderBlue 01-03-2016 03:04 PM

Prism, THANK YOU !!!

QuiltnNan 01-03-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7422463)
... I select the text first (hold down the left key of the mouse to highlight selected text in blue), hold down the ctrl and c keys together to cut (cuts the selected text), then hold down the ctrl and v keys together to paste the text where I want it....

actually, Prism99, CTRL+c copies the text... CTRL+x cuts the text.

LavenderBlue 01-03-2016 06:24 PM

In spite of your wonderful instructions, I am unable to print selected text. I do not get a choice of "selected" when printing. Hmmm.....

GEMRM 01-03-2016 06:38 PM

I use control "C" to copy and control "P" to print. Or if that does not work, I use the "c" and then control "V" to paste it onto a document, then print the document.

Prism99 01-03-2016 07:58 PM

Thanks, QuiltnNan! This explains why I've always had to go back and manually delete what I "cut" because it was actually a "copy". ;) It took me 14 years and your explanation to learn this.......

I just tested the printing on my Windows 10 computer. When I highlight and then do the right key on the mouse, I too do not get the "selected" option; however, if I select "print" from that menu it does display only the text I selected for printing, so it does work. This is much faster than what I used to do, which was to copy into a Word document. Basically this does all the copying for me. My bet is this was an update to the original Windows 10; the Googled explanation is probably old.

I also tried out the ctrl plus p option for printing. That brings up the entire page to print.

An interesting sidenote. When doing the print with the right mouse key above, there is an option to Google search the highlighted phrase! This is handy to know, as it is also a lot faster than what I was doing -- which was to copy and paste the phrase into the Google website.

QuiltnNan 01-04-2016 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7422917)
Thanks, QuiltnNan! This explains why I've always had to go back and manually delete what I "cut" because it was actually a "copy". ;) It took me 14 years and your explanation to learn this.......

LOL

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7422917)
...An interesting sidenote. When doing the print with the right mouse key above, there is an option to Google search the highlighted phrase! This is handy to know, as it is also a lot faster than what I was doing -- which was to copy and paste the phrase into the Google website.

this is very interesting since it takes me more steps to do that in XP and i do it all the time. thanks

maviskw 01-04-2016 07:46 AM

I have found that if I copy my text or picture to Word first, I can get just what I really want, and not a lot of other stuff, too. When I want to print something:
First I highlight the desired text/picture.
Press control and C for copy.
Minimize the page by clicking on the small dash at the top right corner. The minimize button.
This puts you back to your desk top. Double click on Word.
When the blank page comes up, press Control V to paste what you had copied.
Now you can edit that page: erase what you don't want or add notes.
Press control P to print it.
Now when I click on the red X, the delete button, it asks if I want to save it. So choose "no" or "yes" and save it to your files if you like.
Now if you want to go back to where you were, hover over the fire fox (or whatever your computer has) and the picture of your page will come up. Click on that and you're back to where you started, ready to go.

That sounds like a lot, but if you make a list of the steps, you will soon learn what to do when.

I have a whole stack of quilts I might want to make someday, and it is fun to just look through all of them at one time without having to click, click, click.

AZ Jane 01-04-2016 07:52 AM

I always love it when a company decides to improve my life LOL!! NOT!