Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   3D flowers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/3d-flowers-t258766.html)

Bobblehead 12-26-2014 02:18 PM

3D flowers

Last year I attended a Floriani workshop in Denver. We made 3D flowers in the hoop on Brother embroidery machines and then used an iron to crinkle them. There were some beautiful white organza 3D flowers displayed. They were approximately 2 - 3 inches in diameter. Can someone tell me how to make them and what I would need to get? Thanks.

Geri B 12-27-2014 05:10 AM

Try contacting the place you had the workshop.....

Betty Boop 12-27-2014 06:53 AM

I attended a workshop in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. We made them in the workshop You need the organza, do not use poly or anything that can't be burned away with a tool. You will need the embroidery pattern, (we were given one at the workshop). You sandwich (we used Jenny Haskins Krinkle Magic) but there are other product lines, between 2 layers of the organza in your hoop. You then embroider the individual petals in the hoop. Before taking the material from the hoop you use a burning tool and burn around each petal. Then lay them out on the ironing board and steam them to get the crinkle effect, Then use a glue gun and glue the parts together and add a pin or clip. Be sure to use cotton thread as polyester will melt. Your embroidery source probably can get the pattern which includes several patterns. I made these as Christmas gifts. Hope this helps.

Bobblehead 12-27-2014 12:21 PM

Duh. Who would have thought!

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7022736)
Try contacting the place you had the workshop.....

Bobblehead 12-27-2014 12:23 PM

Thanks Betty. Now that you gave me directions, I do remember that is exactly how we did it. I will need to buy the heat tool.

Originally Posted by Betty Boop (Post 7022918)
I attended a workshop in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. We made them in the workshop You need the organza, do not use poly or anything that can't be burned away with a tool. You will need the embroidery pattern, (we were given one at the workshop). You sandwich (we used Jenny Haskins Krinkle Magic ) but there are other product lines, between 2 layers of the organza in your hoop. You then embroider the individual petals in the hoop. Before taking the material from the hoop you use a burning tool and burn around each petal. Then lay them out on the ironing board and steam them to get the crinkle effect, Then use a glue gun and glue the parts together and add a pin or clip. Be sure to use cotton thread as polyester will melt. Your embroidery source probably can get the pattern which includes several patterns. I made these as Christmas gifts. Hope this helps.

lynnie 12-27-2014 03:18 PM

I saw it done on tv and they used a wood burning tool to burn with, that may help a bit. Michaels on a coupon.

Geri B 12-28-2014 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bobblehead (Post 7023264)
Duh. Who would have thought!

Glad someone here was able to help you.....show a pic of this flower....sounds cute.....

nstitches4u 12-29-2014 12:56 PM

You will need to iron the Floriani product (Heat 'n' Shrink) onto the back of the organza before you embroider the flower petals. Cut around the petals - not too close- and seal the edges with a heat tool or stencil cutter. Then when you press the petals, they crinkle.

Bobblehead 01-01-2015 04:49 PM

More questions... Can tulle be used instead of organza? Does the heat tool seal the edges? If it does, do the pieces have to be stitched around the edges or can they be spray glued?