Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/4-h-program-helpful-you-growing-up-t163955.html)

sewbeadit 10-28-2011 11:56 AM

When I was a kid about 12, I was able to be in 4-H and I think it really helped me be a better person and learn a lot of things. We worked hard and had fun and feel we really did benefit from that program. Now days our county wants to cut the funding because of the bad economy and I am sad for that. So was wondering if anyone came through 4-H?

kso 10-28-2011 11:58 AM

I wasn't in 4-H as a kid, but I have been a sewing project leader for many years.

Dianemarie 10-28-2011 11:59 AM

Yep I sure did; learned to sew (a wool suit), cook, can and show swine and keep a record book ! Balanced I might add.
I sure did learn alot from that club; not only that all the adults looked after all the kids and nobody got mad at anybody ! If someone elses parent scolded you - you were in really big trouble when you got home ! Just went to the funeral of one of my leaders -- saw many others there from the same era.

Good ol days !

ckcowl 10-28-2011 12:03 PM

i learned to sew in 4-H and am very thankful for the program; when my children were young i was a 4-H leader-so i've spent more of my life part of 4-H than not-
it gives me great joy when i visit the county fair each year to see all of the different 4-H programs the area kids are involved in. my kids have all grown up and moved away- and are not involved any more- but it was a big part of our lives. it would be sad for our area to loose it.

Raggiemom 10-28-2011 12:03 PM

I started in 4-H in 4th grade, which was the earliest I could join. I was there until I aged out. It was a wonderful program and is where I learned to sew. I also learned speaking skills and leadership skills there. It's too bad 4-H isn't as popular as Girl Scouts!

MamaBear61 10-28-2011 12:04 PM

Sure did, 4-H Homemaking (as it was called back then) as well as several agricultural clubs. I am sorry to hear that your area is losing this very beneficial program.

luvstitches 10-28-2011 12:07 PM

No, I absolutely hated sewing when I was a kid.
And look at me now! Hmmmm.....

bakermom 10-28-2011 12:17 PM

Absolutely! My kids were all in 4H, too. It opened so many doors for them.
I hear you on the budget cuts.
Our county(as well as the state) has lost a lot in the last few years. Our 4H program is intact, although on a smaller level.

ncredbird 10-28-2011 12:22 PM

I learned cooking and also sewing in 4-H. Took several years of both. I learned much more there than I did in Girl Scouts and had much more fun. When my children were growing up there was no 4-H around in the metro Phoenix area that I know of. Ann in TN

QuiltE 10-28-2011 12:23 PM

Absolutely ... I too did both the homemaking clubs (sewing, cooking, gardening, etc) and the agricultural ones too.

Best Program EVER!!!