Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   40% more ....hmmmm......of what??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/40%25-more-hmmmm-what-t127303.html)

thrums 06-01-2011 04:13 PM

I recently bought some liquid laundry detergent. The label on the bottle said 40% more.

Yes....there was 40% more liquid, but I question the composition of the detergent....40% more water?

I noticed the liquid was much thinner than the regular-sized bottle. (I still had that bottle). I measured the caps and the "40% more liquid" cap was 22% larger.

Now I'm not a statistical mathematician, but there's something fishy going on. I have written the company to say shame on them.

Caveat: Buyer beware.

================================

For those who are curious; it was Arm and Hammer Clean Burst.

Rebecca VLQ 06-01-2011 04:17 PM

Yeah I SOOOO don't fall for that. For EXAMPLE...Doritos and other chips say "20% more!" on it. Guess what? It's because they REDUCED the amount in the bag when the economy went south...so...it's the same size as before AND a little more expensive.

"Here, we're doing you a favor by putting the chips back in...20% more!"

QKO 06-01-2011 04:23 PM

Maybe it's sorta like the government, when they talk about cutting their budgets, like "we took a terrible cut" of 10% off of what they were planning on raising it by... :mrgreen:

So, your bottle is actually 40% larger than the bottle would have been if they'd already reduced the size by 20% like they plan to, probably soon. :mrgreen:

thrums 06-01-2011 04:25 PM

By the way I did ask for a refund for the misleading information on the bottle. The assumption was that I was getting 40% more product. Fool me once....

The only way we can combat this is to contact the manuafacturer and say Enough!

cjomomma 06-01-2011 04:26 PM

Did you notice that pringles raised their price by 50 cents for the regular sized can then put a medium can on the shelf and called it the original sized can. they seem to think that the average consumer won't notice these things.

fidgety 06-01-2011 04:29 PM

Oh yes and watch out for the way they lower the prices and you think youare getting a deal. More than likely they have lowered the amount they have in the cans anyway. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... The price of grocieries has goone sky high right along with cotton prices

jaciqltznok 06-01-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Did you notice that pringles raised their price by 50 cents for the regular sized can then put a medium can on the shelf and called it the original sized can. they seem to think that the average consumer won't notice these things.

HAHAHA....I saw these..I just died laughing aloud right in the store...do they really think WE the consumers are that stupid???

It is everywhere though....sunblock today was touted as being 20% more...I bought the same one I buy each year, brought it home and it is actually 2.5 oz LESS than the one last year and it cost $1.73 more!

sewgull 06-01-2011 04:56 PM

Size does count - it now means more is less, but cost more.

earthwalker 06-01-2011 05:56 PM

Yep....Mars bars were sooo much bigger when I was a kid.

cjomomma 06-01-2011 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Yep....Mars bars were sooo much bigger when I was a kid.

Heck they were bigger 6 months ago!!