Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   60s and 70s polyester suiting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/60s-70s-polyester-suiting-t164262.html)

Billy 10-29-2011 04:05 PM

How many of you have made quilts out of pantsuit polyester from the 60 and 70s. I have a ton of it and am cutting it into 6 inch squares. It's not good with small blocks, but I have seen some beautiful quilts made with it. One lady told me that it was only good for lap quilts, but I disagree. I saw one that was made with just blocks and and had a sheet blanket on the back no batting. Give me your thoughts. I love the bright colors.

ptquilts 10-29-2011 04:06 PM

We had a ton of this stuff and used it to make a frost cover for the garden. Lasts forever. I would not use it for quilts. We also cut some in strips for rugs.

annthreecats 10-29-2011 04:07 PM

My ex-MIL made a baby quilt for my DD with it in 1976. My ex-MIL worked in a mental hospital sewing room and collected the scraps from the clothes they made for the patients. It was an awesome baby quilt. So colorful and fun.

ckcowl 10-29-2011 04:08 PM

we make *utility quilts * with poly suitings- i do use batting- it gives some cushion- and keeps the seams from being so evident-
they are great for picnic/beach quilts! the kids have them for forts-
we have made some pretty good sized ones- they wash up nicely-and wear like steel.

Billy 10-29-2011 04:23 PM

I agree, that fabric lasts on and on.

sewlisa 10-29-2011 04:27 PM

I've always called it "polyester garbage". I don't like it's static-y properties. Can't imagine making a quilt out of it. No offence to anyone who likes it. Just my taste.

MisDixie 10-29-2011 04:34 PM

My first quilt, age 9 was made of the leftover pantsuits of my Mom's and her girlfriends! Even remember the hotpants they made. Still have it the quilt. My Grammy hand quited it. My daughter draged it around for years, many many Girl Guide camps. The batting is gone and the cotton back is wornen, but the blocks are as bright as ever and it still keeps us wamn when camping. I remember at the time we joked it and melamie dishes would surive a bomb. Still makes me proud to look at this quilt.

auntmag 10-29-2011 04:41 PM

My mother used the polyester in quilts, made with large squares, backed with flannel and tied. Warm and practically indestructible. It is your quilt, use any thing you wish.

Billy 10-29-2011 05:09 PM

Thanks I Will, Just needed to know if others liked polyester as much as I do. The material is special to me because it was clothes that some of my relatives wore, and they are no longer with us. I remember each of them wearing a particuliar garment that I have now taken apart and plan to use in a quilt.

PurplePassion 10-29-2011 05:12 PM

I have made a few lap quilts with 4" blocks, but now am cutting it into 6" and 7" blocks. the bigger ones are easier to work with.