Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Accuquilt Go, Your Experience? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/accuquilt-go-your-experience-t261573.html)

CindyA 02-21-2015 06:43 AM

Accuquilt Go, Your Experience?

Hi all, I'm considering getting an Accuquilt Go. I have tons and tons of scraps and really think I will use it. It's harder to cut with my rotary blade, my hands and joints hurt after I've done it. My big question to you is: how fast do the blades wear out? Do you feel that it dulls too quickly or maybe about as frequently as you have to replace a rotary blade? I know it's expensive to replace the cutter part.

Thanks for you input!

quiltin-nannie 02-21-2015 07:37 AM

I think the blades will last forever. I can't imagine them not cutting material. I've had my Go for several years and have never had a problem.

BETTY62 02-21-2015 10:24 AM

I love my GO. I've had it for about 4 years. I have several favorite dies that I use over and over and I have not had any issues with their not cutting.

quiltingcandy 02-21-2015 10:31 AM

I really like mine - once you cut all the binding you need in one pass thru, you are hooked. And I cut out over 200 5 inch blocks in about an hour but that was because I had about 75 different fabrics and was putting them back on comic book boards after I cut. The dies don't seem to wear out - it is the plastic pieces you put over the fabric before rolling it thru the machine that does wear out - but those are fairly inexpensive and with a little thought they will have a second purpose too. The one that I did wear out was after a long time - put the die is still going strong. Also, you do need to watch the video and put the fabric on the die going the right direction to get the maximum result.

nanacc 02-21-2015 10:55 AM

The cutting part is in the dies, not the Go itself. The Go has a roller that the die is driven through by your cranking or the Go Big electric pulls it through for you. I have never heard of anyone having a die wear out, but I guess if I keep going the way I have been, I will find out! I was lucky enough to have a sweet Hubby get me the Go Big electric for Christmas. I had it going all last night, cutting almost all of my RWB fabric and scraps for QOV. I've done two quilts since Christmas with my Go......LOVE it!!!!!

notmorecraft 02-21-2015 11:26 AM

I have a GO, but I'm assuming(I know never assume) that the dies are like the dies used in paper crafting and they never seem to wear out, most of the cutting is actually the pressure of the rollers in the machine and not blades in the dies x ( had paper crafting dies that I've been using for at least 10 years with no deterioration in the cutting)

ManiacQuilter2 02-21-2015 11:55 AM

Can you handle the crank of the GO?? You might want to find someone close to you that has one that you can test drive before you purchase one.

CindyA 02-21-2015 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I can handle the crank, but yes, there is someone willing to let me try hers out before I buy. I'm excited to think about how fast I can cut all the scraps I've been saving for years and years!

misspriss 02-21-2015 06:10 PM

I have a Go Baby and can use most all of the Go dies. I really like mine and like you, my hands don't work sometimes but I can still crank. Also one of our quilt shops, Minding My P&Q's, has them to use at no charge. I am sure you will be very happy with one.

gale 02-21-2015 10:12 PM

I bought the Go but I had trouble cranking it. I think they've improved that. I ended up selling it, not so much because of that, but because i wanted more freedom with dies. I got the Big Shot Pro which can take almost every die on the market. It's a lot easier to crank too. But it's a lot more expensive and it's huge and heavy.