Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Acne is a bugbare (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/acne-bugbare-t67719.html)

Joan Rosemary 10-01-2010 07:49 AM

Hi has anyone out there got any good natural home remedies for acne and cold sores that continue to reoccur.

Chasing Hawk 10-01-2010 07:58 AM

My daughter uses white toothpaste on pimples, if she is hanging out at the house. Otherwise she uses Neutragena acne soap. Acne must have skipped me, I never had a problem with it. Two of my brothers have pitted scars on their faces from it.

Rebecca VLQ 10-01-2010 08:03 AM

I have found that acne improves when you limit/reduce sugar and white flour, make sure you are well-hydrated, and eat fresh veggies and fruits.

Acne is caused by a bacteria that feeds on dead skin cells and oil. You *may* need antibiotic treatment to clear it up, but the above helps your body to work in tip-top shape, and kinda protect against invasion.

People that don't tolerate soap on their face well can sometimes do the "oil cleansing method" which, short story: Use a combination of oils like sunflower, olive, castor, do a facial massage, use a very warm wet *clean* washcloth to wipe away excess cleansing oil and the debris that is loosened/lifted by massage. I believe they reccommend 2x a day.

Asprin, crunched up and made into a paste treats acne.

Cold sores are a virus, stress usually exacerbates the problem.

Beffy_Boo 10-01-2010 08:53 AM

tea tree oil for the acne and L-lysine supplement for the cold sores. works like a charm.

GrammaNan 10-01-2010 09:13 AM

I am sitting here with two cold sores in the early stage. I used to put ice on them when they first started itching and hold it on for 45 minutes. It only worked about one out of four times so I don't do it any more. I know that L-lysine supplement works for a lot of people, my oldest son included but it doesn't work for me. I would be interested in hearing from others about natural remedies for cold sores.

donnajean 10-01-2010 09:35 AM

The vitamin L-Lysine works for cold sores - gone the nest day. I don't know if it does anything for on acne as I never had that issue bad enough that I sought a remedy.

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
Hi has anyone out there got any good natural home remedies for acne and cold sores that continue to reoccur.

Prism99 10-01-2010 10:09 AM

If the skin can tolerate it, washing with Safeguard soap can be very helpful. It kills most of the bacteria associated with acne. You have to be careful, though; in some people it dries out the skin too much, creating irritation that makes the acne worse. This is best for people who have very oily skin.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 10-01-2010 10:31 AM

My mother uses femvir for cold sores, no home-remedies have ever worked for her and she's had the virus since she was a child.
for the acne, I don't know, sorry, I never had to deal with that, and the ppl I know who did used products like proactiv...

jacee kay 10-01-2010 12:21 PM

Life after 50! UGH! I never had acne before until about 10 years ago. I have been to dermatoligists several times and my family Dr. They say I have roasha(golden agers acne)A
prescription will clear it for a while then it comes back. They have given me lots of topicals also. I finally am using ivory soap and then putting on alcohol.
So far it is helping more than anything else I've used.

Moon Holiday 10-01-2010 12:48 PM

I grew up constantly bothered by both feverblisters and coldsores until a friend who was training to become a Naturopath (early 1970s) told me to try this remedy. I have never had one blossom since starting this. As soon as I begin to feel the tingly start of a feverblister/coldsore, I apply a wet Vitamin C tablet to the spot, wetting and repeating 2 or 3 times. Then I swallow a couple of Vitamin C tablets (yes even the one I applied to the blisterspot). The blisterspot will disappear within 12–24 hours.

I never had any acne so I cannot help with that problem.