Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 - Anyone have this software? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/adobe-photoshop-elements-11-anyone-have-software-t215024.html)

SewExtremeSeams 02-27-2013 10:36 AM

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 - Anyone have this software?

I am considering which photo editing software to purchase. My goal is to 'really' organize my photos, especially my quilting/sewing photos, so I can easily categorize them and pull them up when I want them.

I would like to send specific photos to specific albums/folders as I import them off my camera.

What experience do you have and why would you recommend a software or NOT recommend one?

Thank you for your help.

azwendyg 02-27-2013 10:52 AM

I "sort" mine manually, copying (dragging) them from the camera card to specific folders (Windows or Mac) I really don't care for iPhoto on the Mac "helping" me organize photos. Then I edit them individually with Photoshop and size them either for print or web and save copies named appropriately. It's a lot of work, but I actually get what I want. I often correct the color a bit and do some cropping too. I haven't found any software that can actually read my mind yet so I've settled on doing the work myself. :D

SewExtremeSeams 02-27-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg (Post 5892482)
I "sort" mine manually, copying (dragging) them from the camera card to specific folders (Windows or Mac) I really don't care for iPhoto on the Mac "helping" me organize photos. Then I edit them individually with Photoshop and size them either for print or web and save copies named appropriately. It's a lot of work, but I actually get what I want. I often correct the color a bit and do some cropping too. I haven't found any software that can actually read my mind yet so I've settled on doing the work myself. :D

Truthfully, I have never figured out how to drop and drag from my camera's memory card to a specific folder. I know how to click on "my pictures", which then imports to Picasa when you open that. Well, on to learn something new 'before' I buy Photoshop.

:D Now, I just don't understand why they don't create a software program that can acutually read my mind?! THAT would be useful.:D

Phyllis42 02-27-2013 04:49 PM

I open my camera's card and then save each one into folders I have set up on a separate USB.

Dragonomine 02-28-2013 06:11 AM

I have Elements. Paid a lot for the software and barely used it. There are free programs that work just as well. Of course if you really want something professional then I guess you would want to spend a chunk of money to make it look the best it can. Me personally I wouldn't recommend it. It's just not needed. What exactly are you trying to do with your pictures?

alwayslearning 02-28-2013 07:49 AM

Elements is a program designed for editing you photos to look more professional. It is not a program designed for sorting and organizing, unless you have money to burn. You can accomplish what you want easier and much more cheaply. Do some searching on line for free or inexpensive programs. Picassa is free for the first X amount stored. You can also store and organize on your own computer and store under Documents, sub pictures. Photography is my first hobby, but my version of Elements is Old: 5. Before you start, think through how you want to organize and have at it! Enjoy.