Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ad's on QB - the strangest thing!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ads-qb-strangest-thing-t143612.html)

DogHouseMom 08-08-2011 10:36 AM

I've noticed before that the ad's on QB seem to be "smart". I've seen ad's for Turtle food when I read a post about someone who owns/breeds Turtles, I've seen ad's for shoes when I read a post about the shoe quilt, and ad's for wrinkle cream on the thread about ugly fabric. Smart ads.

And the ad's are not always the same for each person.

Anyway ... I usually browse the "Recent Topics" list, and at the top of the list was an ad for Couples Resort in Jamaica. I've never seen them advertise here before, none of the posts had anything to do with Jamaica, Couples, or Resorts - but there they were - again, and again and again - every time I refreshed.

In February I began making a landscape quilt loosly built on the Couples Resort logo (two twisted palm tree's). I've not mentioned the name "Couples" on this board in many months. So I'm familair with the Resort, and the logo - I would have noticed if they had been advertising here. I've been staring at this logo on my quilt since February.

Here's the REALLY weird part. Remember I said the ad's were "smart" - they pick up that you were reading "Turtles" and advertise "Turtles". Well apparently today it also picked up what I was SAYING - cause just this morning I booked - OVER THE PHONE - our next trip to Couples in October. And no, I didn't have the browser open in another tab with the resort - I had the phone number written down along with my dates etc.

Can anyone else hear the twilight zone music??

isnthatodd 08-08-2011 10:38 AM

I guess Big Brother really is watching us!!!

amma 08-08-2011 10:40 AM

LOL I can hear Rod Stirling's voice :shock: :lol:

np3 08-08-2011 10:49 AM

LOL!

luvTooQuilt 08-08-2011 10:52 AM

the add I see on the bottom of this thread say ' free advertising - see how google can make your buisiness grow'.. . lol..

TonnieLoree 08-08-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
the add I see on the bottom of this thread say ' free advertising - see how google can make your buisiness grow'.. . lol..

That is what mine says too. There used to be a really creepy one for anti-aging products. Maybe big brother knows me TOO well.

irishrose 08-08-2011 11:15 AM

Someone on the weight loss thread mentioned belly dancing and now I'm getting ads for belly dancing costumes. Several months I looked at shoes on another site. Now those shoes turn up here daily. I agree it's sometimes a little much.

Peckish 08-08-2011 11:16 AM

I don't see ANY ads. I have no clue what you're talking about. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, and it has excellent ad blockers.

I LOVE Firefox.... :)

DogHouseMom 08-08-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I don't see ANY ads. I have no clue what you're talking about. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, and it has excellent ad blockers.

I LOVE Firefox.... :)

When I'm home I use Mozilla, at work I'm stuck with IE. You know ... I wonder if I've never seen the ad's for Couples before because I'm used to looking at the QB from home and I don't see *any* ad's. I honestly can't remember IF I see ad's when I use Mozilla.

Oh great .. now I'm going to see ad's for memory loss homeopathics and alzheimers.

Jennifer22206 08-08-2011 11:30 AM

I asked my work to switch to Firefox - they did. :) Might be worth a try.

I don't see adverts. :)