Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Advice needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/advice-needed-t44290.html)

Maride 04-29-2010 06:55 AM

I went to an interview on Monday and they asked me for a list of my references. During the interview the person asked me if I know someone and I said yes. He asked if he could call her as my reference and I said I rather have him call the people on my list. I know this woman, but we never worked together and she can not have any opinion about my abilities to perform a job. I know she doesn't like me. For the last few month in one of my previous jobs she was the secretary of the lab director. I informed him of a situation by e-mail (the only way to reach him) and she deleted the message because she didn't feel it was important. It got me in trouble and later got her in trouble for deleting it (sorry, I am not going to let someone yell at me when I did nothing wrong). If they do call her and she gives me a bad reference, what are my rights? How can I defend myself?

Charlee 04-29-2010 07:31 AM

I'd have let the interviewer know, without details or trashing the woman, that you didn't like each other, and that you are fairly certain that she would not give you a glowing reference...supplying scant details if asked ("personality conflict" works well).

It's likely that if they do call her, and she gives a lousy review that you'll never know it...they aren't going to tell you that...just that they found someone else for the job.

I wish you didn't have to worry about it!!

Quilter2B 04-29-2010 07:33 AM

Although it might have been awkward at the moment, I think you have every right to tell them who to contact for references. Could this woman put you in an undesirable light without including her role in the situation? Maybe the person inquiring "knows" of this other woman and isn't too impressed with her and only inquired to see what kind of company you keep? Just a thought. . . . Good luck with the job hunt.

CarolinePaj 04-29-2010 08:15 AM

You were right to tell them to contact your listed referees. This woman was not your employer or line manager and as such should not be contacted for a reference.

You said the right thing..... she is not the person to ask about your abilities. Don't say that you did not get on as the interviewer may have a good relationship with the other person and then it is possible that they would blame you for the conflict.

I think that you handled the situation correctly.

Good luck getting the job, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hugs

Caroline

Wine Woman 04-29-2010 08:33 AM

I don't understand. You were asked if you know some one and you would say yes? In what regards do you know her? If you really don't know her don't name her. In Oregon, and in other states, there are laws on what information can be released for reference checks. It is best to use your superiors (management) for ref. checks. Most companies direct these calls to Human Resources department anyway. If you are using a friend let them know that you are listing them as a reference and they don't give any personal information out. People will dig for information they aren't entitled to-Married, children, age, etc. Tell your friends to be professional and watch their words. They only need to share you work well with others, you have a willing attitude, etc. Never use someone you aren't on good terms with. Hope you get the job-if you really want it.

amma 04-29-2010 08:35 AM

I would let the interviewer know that there was an issue with her in the past, that you were inadvertently was involved in. That in contacting her, she may not give a favorable reference due to this.

In our state, employers are limited to what they can answer in regards to a previous employee, and you can report them if they don't follow the rules. But if they are calling her privately in regards to you, and she answers questions, I don't know that you would have much recourse.

The interviewer would also have to tell you what they asked her, and what her response was. Many times, they are not willing to share this information...

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-29-2010 08:55 AM

I don't think there is much you can do about it either way. If the employer is a friend of hers, they may call her regardless of what you've asked them to do.

References are tricky things.

Rebecca VLQ 04-29-2010 11:52 AM

No, she is not a good reference because she was not your supervisor and can no way comment on your job capabilities.

If you don't get the job, I'm sure there's avenues for recourse but how to prove it's because of the girl that wasn't the reference? If the guy doesn't call any of your actual references? But...it could be that he says your resume and your interview were the reasons, even if it IS because of the other gal.

UGH. :(

sharon b 04-29-2010 11:59 AM

Maybe you could have responded , you know of her by name , but that is it. That way they would not have a reason to contact her as she wouldn't have any info to share. I know hind sight is 20-20

Good Luck !