Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Advice on RV/Camper bedding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/advice-rv-camper-bedding-t192661.html)

jdavis 06-26-2012 02:57 AM

Wow! Thank you all for the suggestions. Now I just have to convince DH to get something soon, so we can try it before the actual camping trip!

scarlet14 06-26-2012 05:42 AM

a hint not really asked for b-u-t---sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet [like waterbed sheets] and they stay together and your tooties don't stick out at the bottom---easier to make the bed --we use an 'egg carton' pad on our and like it just fine--- camping friends have the memory foan pad and really like it also

kathyd 06-26-2012 05:48 AM

We purchased a Tear Drop trailer 2 years ago and it had those hard 4-inch foam pads in it. We tried it 2 nights and it was awful. We sleep on a waterbed at home (very 80's I know) so we bought a queen size air mattress. It sleeps like our waterbed and it doesn't develope "hot spots" from laying in the same place too long. They aren't expensive and we sleep great.
kathyd

iwillquilt 06-26-2012 09:01 AM

I just take a thick comforter and fold it inhalf and lay it on the matress before I put my sheets on. It makes it soft and if it gets really cold you have another blanket on hand.

Winhall 06-26-2012 09:17 AM

We have a feather light and have the same problem , changed to a heated mattress no help so now we have an air mattress under the regular one works great.

mom-6 06-26-2012 09:38 AM

Your least expensive option is to use one of the less expensive air mattresses (they usually aren't as thick as the more expensive ones either) &/or a sleeping bag under your sheet but on top of the regular mattress.

As long as you have the sheet over it, the air mattress will not get uncomfortable in summer. If you have a mattress pad over it as well, that's probably even better.

You may want to get some of the clamps to keep the sheet on the air mattress as I had trouble with mine slipping off on the twin size one I used on my cot when sleeping in the booth at Sherwood Forest Festival and Scarborough Faire this spring. Of course it may not be as much of a problem when it's on a bed instead of a cot.

Here's to comfy sleeping!

linda faye 06-26-2012 12:04 PM

Same here with the RV mattress. Bought 4" memory foam topper from WalMart ($110?) and it has helped so much. The mattress is a queen x-long so we bought the king size and bottom sheet holds it in place.

margee 06-26-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter (Post 5313585)
We bought the "egg crate kind of topper" and put it underneath the mattress. then bought another one, and put it on top of the mattress--have slept on it for 6 years and it is wonderful!

I have used the eggcrate topper on top the mattress & what a difference. I saw some in JoAnnes just the other day.

ORSunshineQuilter 06-26-2012 06:16 PM

Go to OVERSTOCK.COM and type in memory foam topper - we got a 4" and I think they have a 5" too. Not too expensive and well worth the money!

chuckbere15 06-27-2012 01:41 AM

I went to the Foam Factory and purchased a 4" memory foam for a queen size bed. It was three hundred dollars and worth every penny. The only problem as this is a standard queen size not a camper queen which is fine for us. We just had to add support at the foot of the bed, we have room in our trailer. I believe the Foam Factory will cut to size. At the time I purchased I did not have the measurements with me. I put the memory foam on top of our trailer mattress. The mattress in the trailer was more comfortable than our home mattress that I did the same for the house.

Word of caution, when storing the memory foam do not bend it, it will crack in cold weather. Keep it flat.