Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aging Stars Reality Problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aging-stars-reality-problems-t177031.html)

EllieGirl 01-26-2012 08:45 AM

Aging Stars Reality Problems

We're sitting here watching TV, reading the news, and segments came on about Demi Moore and Heather Locklear. Comments were made about Demi having problems accepting her age, body image, blah, blah. I know money doesn't buy love, but to me, it's pretty sad that two women, who are getting older, and look the way they do, especially Demi, are depressed about getting older.

Peckish 01-26-2012 09:49 AM

I dunno if I accept that assumption about Demi's "problems" ... seems to me she's got bigger problems than how she looks right now.

Nanamoms 01-26-2012 10:10 AM

I caught a glimpse of Demi Moore on a news clip and she's so little, it makes her look older. She looks almost anorexic! She has always been so pretty but sometimes trying to stay young actually makes you look older!!

TanyaL 01-26-2012 11:38 AM

They seem very human to me. Getting old bothers most of us whether we are rich or poor, average or beautiful,thin or fat. Getting divorced bothers most of us. I think they just show that money doesn't solve all of the problems.

KLO 01-26-2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms (Post 4912948)
I caught a glimpse of Demi Moore on a news clip and she's so little, it makes her look older. She looks almost anorexic! She has always been so pretty but sometimes trying to stay young actually makes you look older!!

I have often thought this too. I think women in particular need a little bit of "flesh" on them to keep their bodies and skin looking younger. You can still be trim and not look so emaciated. I also cannot think that is healthy on the insides. Your body needs proper nourishment to function properly.

Sew N Tune 01-26-2012 12:06 PM

It's so sad to see these "stars" who seem to have it all, really have -nothing at all.

alleyoop1 01-27-2012 04:52 AM

Unfortunately this is Hollywood at it's worst! How many times have you seen an older male star in a movie? I'm thinking of Harrison Ford and Clint Eastwood. How many times have you seen an older female star in a movie? Not too often. Hollywood is obsessed with the young and beautiful and an aging female star doesn't fit their image. So sad! Aging is difficult enough without the media making us all feel like we need face lifts, boob jobs, starvation diets, and what ever else they are hawking.

TanyaL 01-27-2012 05:02 AM

JFYI, in the movie The King's Speech, Claire Bloom played the queen mother. I hadn't seen her in so many decades that I didn't recognize her. I'm not surprised. I don't recognize the old woman in my own mirror!

ptquilts 01-27-2012 05:54 AM

I am glad I am not in their shoes - it is bad enough dealing with the vagaries of old age and gravity, imagine if there were hours and hours of film showing how beautiful you were in your prime. Depressing in my opinion...

Peckish 01-27-2012 09:08 AM

I thought Kathryn Hepburn was beautiful even when she was in her 70's.