Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Alaska or Bust with fingers crossed and a prayer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/alaska-bust-fingers-crossed-prayer-t215874.html)

Nanny's dollface 03-09-2013 07:30 AM

Alaska or Bust with fingers crossed and a prayer

After being in between jobs for several months, I am progressing on the job front with a potential opportunity in Anchorage, Alaska. DH and I will fly up later in the month for additional discussions and to explore Anchorage. I have a couple of questions that hopefully members can answer.
1. Are there certain areas in Anchorage where it's preferable to live? ( we would be renting a home with a dog and cat).
2. What are the local quilt shops like? Are their clubs or quilting guilds?
3. What should my husband and I see while there? We do have friends in Wasailla so i expect we will spend one day them.
Thanks so much!

GrandmaPeggy 03-09-2013 08:27 AM

Good luck on the job front with interviews, etc. We have all "been there and done that". I just want to remind you that there is a life on the "other side" of unemployment. We survived and I know you will too! Good wishes are sent your way.:thumbup:

Our 2009 Alaskan Cruise let us shop in Anchorage and I found one (or two shops) there. I don't know what direction now, but it was in town, not far from their mall. We stopped in several on our trip and the fabrics were slightly different...in Texas, our fabrics feature our spring flowers, in Alaska, their fabrics featured wildlife, oceans, whales, native Eskimo, etc. I bought an assortment of quilt fabrics for a lap sized Alaskan quilt. It was my first one, but not the last!

Sierra 03-09-2013 09:16 AM

You'll love Alaska! Here is what I can tell you...

1) Even in Anchorage you can't let small pets stay in the yard because of eagles!

2) There are great quilt shops, even in the smaller towns. They tend to feature fabrics that will always remind you of Alaska! One of my favorite is in Kenai and it features applique patterns done by the daughter of one the people that works there... very Alaskan, very unique! I know kenai because that's where our son and family are.

3) Anchorage has some museums which feature Alaskan like art, which we found to be really wonderful. I imagine that they have good and not as good shows, but they are small and worth going to. Go to the Visitors' Center and find out.

I presume you are driving up, and if that is true consider taking the Cassier up (at Prince George turn West onto the Yellowhead (?) highway for a few hours). We always go up that way and down the AlCan (where you have to stop and experience Laird Hot springs! wonderful in every way). A mile or two past the junction of the Yellowhead and Cassier, on the left all by itself, is the best, more reasonable native craft shop you will find. The wife of the couple that own it is an artist and is a first nation person and her native friends influenced her to put their things in also. Incredible stuff! Also, long before you get to the junction there is a fantastic recreated Indian village, long houses, totem poles, hand carved canoes... very unique and worth while. There is another totem pole village soon after you turn onto the Cassier to the right, and another off to the west. Of course, if you are driving you'll have the current MILE POST handy. The Cassier used to be an iffy road, but they have it all paved, straightened out, a beautiful drive. ENJOY!

nygal 03-09-2013 09:31 AM

We lived in Anchorage for 14 yrs before moving back to New York our home state. We LOVED it there. They had a quilt shop back then but at that time I was not busy quilting so I rarely went there. I know there are more quilt shops now.

I bet you will LOVE it there. The scenery is beautiful and we loved seeing Moose in our back and front yard. Enjoy it!!

kat112000 03-09-2013 09:38 AM

Eagle River is a beautiful town not too far from Anchorage. I love it there! There was an absolutely beautiful quilting shop there. I dropped a "little" bit of my money there two years ago!

leaha 03-09-2013 11:09 AM

Log cabin quilter's guild had over 200 members when we lived there. And they have a nice quilt show each year. I think the quilt shop where I used to teach on Latouche (sp) has closed, but there was another shop not far away. It sure is beautiful there, and the northern lights are out of this world! We loved our time in Ak.

Camai Johnson 03-10-2013 01:22 AM

What kind of work are you looking for? Time are tough like everywhere but there are jobs to be had..especially in the medical field. Stay out of Downtown and Mountain View and you'll be ok. I just moved out of Anchorage after ten years but moved for a good job, not for anything negative.

MamaHen 03-11-2013 03:47 AM

Also stay of of Fairview & some parts of Spenard. If you end up working in Anchorage, and don't mind a short drive, look in Eagle River for rental space.
Former 54 year Alaska resident.

solstice3 03-11-2013 06:41 AM

There was a nice fabric shop a couple of blocks from the Westmark hotel when I was there this past summer...
Quilted Raven, 650 W 4th Ave, Anchorage. It was small but very nice and the lady there very friendly and helpful. It appears there are a number in town but that is the only one I got to. I spent the summer working for Princess Cruise Line and loved it

Nancy in Louisiana 03-11-2013 07:17 AM

First thing I would do is visit the museum in Anchorage. It was extremely informative and an excellent introduction to the culture in Alaska as well as its history. I was so excited and sold on the area that I was willing to move there the next day. I don't know anyone who hasn't fallen in love with the area; but then again, none have spent a long, dark winter there. Do you need sunshine and daylite to maintain your sanity? With all the people who migrate south from Sept to May, it might be a bit quiet there. Quilted Raven quilt shop very nice.