Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Alaska (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/alaska-t258508.html)

Onebyone 12-21-2014 10:34 AM

My DD lived in Bethel working at the hospital there.
It was so bad she left. She said it was like living in a third world country. Only way in or out was by plane. So if you move live in a big town there or somewhere scenic.

neece 12-21-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 7016349)
Don't forget the darkness for many a month. That would do me in.

I agree the nonstop night would put me even farther over the edge than usual:D

CurliQ 12-21-2014 11:58 AM

I have lived in the Mat-Su valley for almost 14 years now (about 40 miles north of Anchorage and 350 away from Fairbanks). The light thing is not such a big deal this far south but way, way up north it can be difficult, although I have to say I'm pretty excited about the solstice and now gaining light. We like to hike, but that's about it for outdoorsy stuff. Of course, it's beautiful and even in its harshest, there is a stark, majestic beauty.

All that said, the people keep me here. Ya know how everyone is complaining of holiday shopping because people are rude? That hasn't been my experience. People still smile, let one another go first and generally behave well. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled a stranger out of a ditch and thankfully, they've done the same for me. Someone is always there to help. At least, that has been my experience where I live.

My daughter went to UAF in Fairbanks and, I think, they have the biggest temp swing. It can be in the 80s in the summer and then dip to -35 in the winter. I don't really have much to add on Fairbanks, I only visited.

I know the temps sound extreme, but I grew up in NE Ohio and I think it is MUCH colder there with the biting wind. I know they all say it, but it's a different kind of cold.

All that said, do some research. Anchorage is a good place to start. It's a city with all the city trappings. A bit north is Eagle River, Peters Creek and on up to the valley. Then there's places like Bethel or the MANY villages. It's a state with a bit of everything when it comes to living conditions.

And as long as we have lived here, gosh darn it, we still oohhh and ahhhh over the many mamas and babies moose strolling through our yard, or the ptarmigan standing stupidly in the road, or that eagle that looks down off the tip of the tree down KGB (a road). I'm struck anew every spring by the medley of wildflowers. They're truly so beautiful.

And as someone else said, what's the worst that can happen? You hate it and move back? Sounds like an awesome experience anyway. Good luck!

squires1042 12-21-2014 12:43 PM

I have lived in alska since 1981 both in Fairbanks and Seward I wouldn't live anywhere else. The people, scenery are both great. The cost of living is not that much different from many of the major metropolitan areas. You have to be willing to work and be self sufficient and willing to get out and enjoy what this state has to offer.

SewExtremeSeams 12-21-2014 02:08 PM

If Alaska is where the Gracious One is leading you then, you will be blessed there and definitely bless those you come in contact with. Grace is unmerited favor. Wow!

Jingle 12-22-2014 11:23 AM

I watch several shows about Alaska on TV.It would not be for me, too old to get out in all the snow and cold. I think the lack of sun would get to me. It is extremely beautiful. Our oldest Grandson was stationed at Ft. Wainwright about 8 years ago. He hated to be so far from home. His Ex moved back up there with his two Daughters. They allow so much child support from the Military , guess that is why she hung around the bases.
Good luck if you decide to go.

pocoellie 12-23-2014 09:13 AM

Yes, we're thinking about Alaska, actually will be taking a driving trip there this coming year, we won't be actually moving until we can sell our home in Squaw Valley. We're thinking of Homer or Anchor Point, a couple of reasons, 1, it's warmer there than here in the winter and a whole lot cooler in the summer. We wouldn't even think of moving to Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc., it gets wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too cold there for us, -27 here is more than cold enough. LOL

Barbshobbies 12-26-2014 06:52 AM

I was there the last week of May, a few years back, and loved every min. of it. We were told it was the warmest week they ever had in MAY! and we could come back any time. They had flowers blossoming all over the place. I came from mid Wisconsin and we haden`t even thought of planting yet. The people were so nice to us. But I could not live there, because I can`t stand continual cold and the Darkness would make me sad.