Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aluminum foil reuse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aluminum-foil-reuse-t210549.html)

damaquilts 01-10-2013 05:19 AM

I only reuse if it isn't dirty at all. Besides around here its hard to save anything to reuse. I live with people who have money to burn, obviously everything with them is "oh just buy a new one". . I have to hide my jars to save them. One day I will get my own place and be able to save all kinds of junk. LOL

dojo36 01-10-2013 05:58 AM

i was born in 1936 so i grew up during world war II. we didn't even have aluminum foil, we were so poor, with a family of nine. must not have been very good birth control back then either, lol. but like someone else said, it's hard to break old habits, so I reuse almost everything but kleenex and toilet paper. worn out socks and t shirts work so good for polishing furniture. i can make one t shirt last for about 15 years - wear it the first 5, sleep in it the next 5, then cut it up for rags the last 5.

hannajo 01-10-2013 06:35 AM

If it doesn't need to be washed, I reuse foil.
Also, I've stopped using plastic baggies for lunches. I bought a bunch of those semi-disposable plastic containers that have lasted over three years. I only use baggies, foil, and plastic wrap when I intend to throw them away.

quiltmom04 01-10-2013 06:54 AM

I think it depends on what you can live with. Ever watch one of those hoarding shows? Those folks have a use for everything! Even used aluminum foil. It's a very fine line - I don't save aluminum foil or anything else that has been used once on a food product. I'm not even really a fan of plastic containers - I generally put stretch and seal on a regular bowl and use that to store leftovers.

alwayslearning 01-10-2013 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by nivosum (Post 5773993)
My son and I are having a conversation about how many people reuse their aluminum foil after it's first use. He does not think that the majority of people do and I think the opposite Of course, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and everyone we knew did. I will wash it, let it dry, and put it away in the drawer for future use. Any thoughts on this subject.

During the 50's and 60's, when many of us were growing up, we were children of people who had learned to use and re-use during both the depression and WWII or they were just plain frugal people. And the world was in much better condition it is now. We are now known as the "Throw Away Society". I'd rather be frugal. Yes, I reuse. And I recycle.

quilter68 01-10-2013 07:06 AM

I do put a square piece on top of jam jars in the fridge and screw the lid tight. This seals the jam for a long time. What I use frequently is the plastic bags in the cereal boxes. I use them for lunch and many things around the house.

judy363905 01-10-2013 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5774118)
I will reuse one if it's not soiled. i fold it and put it in the pantry near the foil box.

Me also. There is is not a lot on those rolls so if I can get a second use that is a good thing :)
Judy in Phx, AZ

Jude41 01-10-2013 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by nivosum (Post 5773993)
My son and I are having a conversation about how many people reuse their aluminum foil after it's first use. He does not think that the majority of people do and I think the opposite Of course, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and everyone we knew did. I will wash it, let it dry, and put it away in the drawer for future use. Any thoughts on this subject.

wad foil into a baked potato size and put into dryer, eliminates static cling,,amazing

craftygater 01-10-2013 07:35 AM

When my sissors start to get dull I cut thru foil several times. It helps to sharpen them. It won't replace professional sharpening but will extend the life for awhile. Also I have to have foil for use on the grill. That I won't reuse.

joym 01-10-2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 5774310)
My kids get so upset with me for reusing things. But I guess that is the way I grew up. And today it works out with recycling. I reuse the heavier plastic silverware. It is a shame to through them out, when it takes so little to wash and dry them. I guess it comes from being a farm kid in the 50's, but you know I can sure make do with what I have if I have to. Would like to see some of the kids of today make do with what we used to have to.

speaking of plastic ware, it is much better for the environment to wash and reuse.....nowadays, we throw everything away....what a waste and filling up dumps