Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aluminum foil reuse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aluminum-foil-reuse-t210549.html)

nivosum 01-09-2013 10:41 AM

Aluminum foil reuse

My son and I are having a conversation about how many people reuse their aluminum foil after it's first use. He does not think that the majority of people do and I think the opposite Of course, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and everyone we knew did. I will wash it, let it dry, and put it away in the drawer for future use. Any thoughts on this subject.

Prism99 01-09-2013 10:50 AM

I do not reuse it, but I also do not use it very frequently. If I used it everyday I wouldn't be throwing it away so easily.

nativetexan 01-09-2013 11:53 AM

I will reuse one if it's not soiled. i fold it and put it in the pantry near the foil box.

lfstamper 01-09-2013 11:55 AM

My mom reuses but I do not.

Grandma Bonnie 01-09-2013 12:57 PM

If it's clean enough I reuse it! I just lay it on the counter, run a wet dishcloth over it and then dry it. If it doesn't get used it's good to wad up in a ball for cleaning the grill etc.

Bonnie 01-09-2013 01:14 PM

My kids get so upset with me for reusing things. But I guess that is the way I grew up. And today it works out with recycling. I reuse the heavier plastic silverware. It is a shame to through them out, when it takes so little to wash and dry them. I guess it comes from being a farm kid in the 50's, but you know I can sure make do with what I have if I have to. Would like to see some of the kids of today make do with what we used to have to.

quilter1 01-09-2013 01:17 PM

Oh my goodness, I had an aunt who used to save and reuse tea bags too. Life is too short to wash tin foil.

MaryMo 01-09-2013 01:28 PM

I rarely use aluminum foil anymore. When we were kids (many, many years ago) my cousin and I used to fashion designer dresses for her dolls from the aluminum foil covering the cake that my mother broght to dinner. (There was NEVER any cake left and after the pan was washed, the aluminum foil was ours.) Each time we visited her dolls had only their original dresses on them. I don't know what happened to the aluminum foil after our session. Today I use plastic containers or plastic wrap. Plastic containers are washed and reused but plastic wrap sticks together too much for much reuse.

Cagey 01-09-2013 01:31 PM

I will reuse it if it is fairly clean - then again I wash large plastic storage bags and use them over and over.
Don't know if that is for recycling and just being cheap.

Tartan 01-09-2013 01:41 PM

I have reused a piece that was just used to wrap buns for heating in the oven. I do not use it again if it was used on anything raw in case of bacteria contamination. Foil is cheap and hospital visits are expensive.