Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Am I alone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/am-i-alone-t152200.html)

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 09-11-2011 04:01 PM

I have been known to buy several pair of shoes or jeans or slacks, etc., at one time if they fit just perfectly and I was afraid I would not be able to find them again....thank goodness I did too!!

Prism99 09-11-2011 04:05 PM

Oh, yeah! I tend to stock up if it's something really important that works for me -- like shoe inserts. When I learned mine were being discontinued, I got on eBay and snagged a lifetime supply!

What I really hate is when they come out with a "new and improved" version of something I have used for years.....and ruin it for me. This happened with my fabric softener -- *cannot* stand the smell of their "improved" fragrance! Also happened with a breakfast cereal -- same box except for "new and improved", but I cannot stand the new taste.

quilt1950 09-11-2011 04:12 PM

Well, not quite the same --- but I need a new washer. The washer I picked out, reviewed by Consumer Reports in March, 2011, has been discontinued. This has been a most frustrating process. My first washer lasted 25 years. My 2nd only 10 years, which seems to be acceptable these days. Can you tell that I'm annoyed by this entire process?

Jan in VA 09-11-2011 04:31 PM

For me, two things come to mind immediately......over the years every time i found a good bra; and my favorite Fiskars ruler with VERY thing orange lines. I'd willingly buy one from anybody offering one!

Jan in VA

Stitchnripper 09-11-2011 05:03 PM

Just a thought for some small items. The Vermont Country Store has things that the big manufacturers discontinued making. they bought up some patents, formulas, can't remember which, and manufacture older candies, shampoos, lotions, potions, etc. I just ordered my granddaughter a bottle of "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific Shampoo" and she told me her hair smells terrific. Also, sometimes on ebay you can find things that you can't find anywhere else (of course be careful shopping - we have had threads regarding ebay problems)

pattym47 09-11-2011 05:05 PM

I think it happens way too often. :hunf:

SuziC 09-11-2011 05:05 PM

Not alone. I used a special fabric from Springhill for years and all of a sudden it was gone. I even tried to order from the factory but no luck. I would even pay big to have that print again!

MrsGuava 09-11-2011 05:41 PM

Paquins hand cream and Hickory Farms honey cake have broken my husband's heart. I don't have any loss, but you are not alone.

3incollege 09-11-2011 05:45 PM

Reminded me that my family liked " Chicken Tonight" for dinner.It's been years since it has dissappered.

Lisanne 09-11-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
over the years every time i found a good bra

OH yeah!

Same for many other things. My main gripe these days is the lack of cotton clothing that doesn't have Spandex or some other synthetic blended into it. But I could name so many other products, from a movie that isn't on DVD to scissors made by La Crosse (you can only get hair clipping and moustache scissors from them now, it seems, not just regular ones).

Maybe someone should start a company that just sells products discontinued or abandoned by the original manufacturers. But know companies today, they'd want to sell for a huge price or they purposely discontinued them so they could sell something else at a higher markup.