Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/am-i-only-one-t164493.html)

watterstide 10-30-2011 03:44 PM

Don't get discouraged please...i stitch in the ditch,or cross hatch, of have done the clam shell design..(half circle kinda thing) i had the juki on a gracie pro, and it just caused me so much pain,with the fibromyalgia and arthritis...and i never got good at it.
how big are the quilts you do? i rarely make anything bigger than a twin,i can't handle anything bigger than that on my janome 6600
..and if i wanted to make one for my queen bed, i would do it in sections/Rows..i think there is a book called "mile a minute"?

your not alone..!

and believe this, if i was starting to let other peoples quilts depress me,because they were prettier, or more perfect..
i would quit looking! i don't compare my skills to others,ever. Take care my friend...relax and be happy in what you are able to do... there are a lot here who rely on donations of fabrics and scraps to keep sewing!

Sadiemae 10-30-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I did several queen sized quilts on my domestic before I got my HQ16 sit down. Firstly, it makes a huge, huge difference if you have your machine sitting level with the surrounding table surface. Those silly little clip on things that Bernina supplied me with were useless. If I hadn't had a cabinet, I would have bought a cheap table and cut a hole in it, with a shelf under to sit the machine on.

Once you have the machine level, then the easiest way I found was to just puddle the quilt, so the part I was working on was flat under the needle. Rolling it up in a big sausage didn't work for me at all. It is a bit heavy to work with, pulling and pushing around, but I made it work for me, and its perfectly possible, just a bit tiring. Don't lose heart. Try it first with some smaller projects, I did all my FMQ learning on Project Linus quilts.

What is a HQ16 sit down??

It is an HQ16 longarm that sits on a table. You move the quilt instead of moving the machine like the regular HQ16.

auntmag 10-30-2011 03:50 PM

Yes, having a quilt done by a long arm quilter is pricey but worth it. I have been doing smaller projects such as table runners, placemats, and wall quilts that I can finish on my sewing machine. I limit myself to two or three quilts per year to have done by a LAQ.

AZTeri 10-30-2011 03:50 PM

While I have access to a long-arm (my good friend has one she'll let me use - teaching me along the way :) ), I have made 5 quilts so far this year, including a king sized one, and only used her machine for 2 of them. The only reason I used her machine for the most recent one was because I wanted to push and get it finished, and I knew I could do that on her machine.

Don't stop quilting just because you don't have a long arm! My old 1976 Singer Futura II works just fine for me, even with it's 7" throat space!

Monika 10-30-2011 03:59 PM

Naw!!! Don't give up. I quilt on my Babylock Quest and my quilts may not be show-worthy but they are well-loved.

Jim's Gem 10-30-2011 04:03 PM

Don't get discouraged!!! many of us on here quilt on our regular sized domestic machines. I being one of them!!!
I have made over 200 quilts and have not yet sent one out to be quilted. I do confess that the quilting part is my weakest point, I have a stack of quilts that are waiting for the quilting cause I can't decide how to quilt them. However, over 200 of them have been completed on just my little ole sewing machine. You can do it!!!!

Elizabeth-Liz 10-30-2011 04:07 PM

Don't give up. I do all my quilting on my regular sewing machine. I do stitch in the ditch, meandering, straight stitch. I have done several 90 x 90's this way. I am going to get a midarm, but I sure I will still use the sewing machine.

Painiacs 10-30-2011 04:07 PM

Don't give up! Lots of u's don't have LA!! I do SID or cross hatch or straight line quilting. Check around my LA is about 80 for twin. Good luck. Maybe take a break. We all get in a funk! Do or learn another hobby!

twinkle 10-30-2011 04:10 PM

I hand quilt and hadn't seen LA quilting until I started reading this board and did think for a few weeks how wonderful it would be to have one and be a "proper" quilter, but to be honest after looking at lots of pics, while I love lots of the LA quilts I still prefer the quilts that look like they have been handmade, I don't know I just think they have personality.

I have no intention of ever selling my quilts or entering shows so what does it matter if they aren't perfect and no one in my family quilts so they look at them and oooh and aahhh without looking for imperfections and then happily cwtch up on the sofa with them :)

I do hope you can continue to enjoy it x

Jingle 10-30-2011 04:12 PM

Not me, I FMQ all my quilts on a Juki TL98QE and now on a Babylock Jane also. I would never get rid of fabrics and stop quilting. By the way, lots are full to queen size or bigger.