Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Annoying Pop Up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/annoying-pop-up-t104422.html)

CherryPie 03-03-2011 09:33 PM

[quote=donnajean]My computer has Windows Vista with Explorer. When you click on "Tools" on the top Menu bar, there is an option to turn "Pop up blocker" on or off. I keep mine on off, & only turn it on when it's something I know I want to see.

We have Windows 7 on ours and we have that "Pop up blocker" option, too. What I have problems with when on this site, our internet face page pops up. All I have to do is hit the "X" in the upper right hand corner and it takes me right back where I was. It's just annoying.

madamekelly 03-03-2011 10:11 PM

This is how I made it stop. Might help you all too. Click to open your browser, then while it is open, click the tool bar on the name of the browser, when it opens, scroll down to preferences and click. Gently and slowly look for a way to clean cache, or dump cookies. Somewhere you have gone, has left you a cookie, and you just need to clear it, to make it stop. I have an i mac which uses Firefox or Safari, so I can't really remember how to fix it on PC, but everything else is similar so this is also the fix for PC, but things have different names on PC or Linux. Like I have Text edit and PC has Notebook. Same thing but different title. Most of what I know about them is similar... Good luck. Your browser is idle while you read, so here they come using that little cookie. Not dangerous, but ANNOYING!
Cherrypie appears to know PC. Ask her/him about clearing cookies? If your computer is making louder machine noise, that it used to, it is usually a cookie/cache problem. Slows it down too. You need some housekeeping. Cheap fix. Free is a very good price. PM if more help wanted.

whatever 03-03-2011 10:39 PM

have you run the virus scan to see if it catches it I have viper

CherryPie 03-03-2011 10:57 PM

I really don't know too much about PC's. We have a virus scan on our PC that runs continuously.

gale 03-04-2011 12:25 AM

I haven't had this problem even if I use IE. I use firefox though, with adblock. I have windows 7 32 bit and AVG antivirus.

TeddyB1967 03-04-2011 02:06 AM

I know someone posted to click on tools then on the popup blocker from there. If this doesnt work, try clicking on TOOLS then click on INTERNET OPTIONS and then when that box opens, click on the PRIVACY TAB. Make sure there is a check mark in the box to turn on the pop up blocker.
This should help somewhat but you will probably need something to remove the adware.

Also you can block an individual page from opening. First right click on the url in the address bar of the page you wanna block. Now click on TOOLS and then INTERNET OPTIONS and then click on PRIVACY (same as above). Just above the box to checkmark to turn on pop up blocker, there is a button that reads SITES. Click on this and then right click and paste the url in the box that reads ADDRESS OF WEBSITE, then click on BLOCK. Then click on OK to exit out of there.

judi wess 03-04-2011 02:47 AM

Yesterday it happened to me, right here. I couldn't write a comment till I logged out then logged back in. It was from AOL, my hubby uses that for his email and our cell phones. I was so annoyed.

RIDGEFIELD 03-04-2011 04:41 AM

I turned on the pop-up blocker and I still get the webface ad. Now it is more difficult to stop it. Hope the adm. can fix this.

Ms Elaine Va 03-04-2011 09:35 AM

never seen it. Could it be a virus on your computer?

selm 03-04-2011 10:22 AM

yup, I think it's New England and seems to be mostly MA.
Think I'll try to run adware