Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Another GD learning how to sew! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/another-gd-learning-how-sew-t226484.html)

gramquilter2 07-26-2013 06:25 AM

Great job on the pillowcase. My granddaughter has been staying with me for a week and has finished a set of pillowcases, a machine embroidered wall quilt, and a pillow she made after shaving cream dying. Today we are going to bling up T-shirts. And you actually can quilt/sew with 4 and 5 year olds. Use glue instead of pins and guide the little fingers. Grandkids are so much fun.:thumbup:

oksewglad 07-26-2013 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6195274)
A proud DGD!!!
....... following in DGM footsteps.

What a nice project for her to take with her, and now she can sleep with it, and dream all about her special summer holiday with you!

Poor girl she looked horrified when I told her she couldn't use it until Fair was over!!

oksewglad 07-26-2013 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6195374)
You are so blessed to have so many GDs that are interested in learning. I havn't been able to lure anyone yet, but I still hold on to hope.

Emma--three of them live half mile and a hill away so they are here daily. I've always let them play in fabric from about 3 years old and up. I knew I had to get them early!

oksewglad 07-26-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 6196131)
I love that fabric...Have made quite a few quilts and pillowcases with it...My DIL said that the glitter look hold up. She washes the kids very frequently..Tell her Great Job!!

This is good to know. I got enough fabric but in different colors for 3 more pillowcases!

oksewglad 07-26-2013 04:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's a joy to hand down a skill that we care about so much to the next generation!

tessagin 07-26-2013 04:35 PM

love that pillow case. My GDs are 1500 and 1650 miles away. Would love the opportunity to be able to sew with them. Count your blessings cause I'm really jealous of you.

QuiltE 07-26-2013 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 6198091)
Poor girl she looked horrified when I told her she couldn't use it until Fair was over!!

Poor Kid! .... so proud and dreaming of sweet dreams with her own butterfly pillowcase ... and then, wham!
The Fair cannot come soon enough! ;)

I guess she has just had a lesson in patience! ...... :)

Iraxy 07-26-2013 08:37 PM

I spent two weeks with my GD and got her on the sewing machine post haste. She loved it! Hopefully a sewer in my future. I need the company since neither one of my DD's sews. *sigh* where did I go wrong?

oksewglad 07-27-2013 07:37 AM

Today GD#3--almost 8 yo--is sewing on paper. Remember those days?

We are using Possibilities "Fun for Kids" book as a guideline.

quiltingloulou 07-27-2013 08:23 AM

Two beautiful things!! Would love a GD but not likely ever to have one now.