Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Another use for vinegar (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/another-use-vinegar-t185181.html)

Sweeterthanwine 04-08-2012 03:18 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I've saved this in my bookmarks. These are very useful.

Mariposa 04-08-2012 03:22 PM

Vinegar is also a great fabric softener! I put mine in a downy ball, and do wash as usual. :)

SewExtremeSeams 04-08-2012 03:28 PM

About a week ago I finally got pretty disgusted with the cloudiness of my dishes after they had been washed in our somewhat new DW. It is not a top of the line but it is new enough that I felt it shouldn't be happening. DH said it was the hardness of our well water. I have only used Cascade DW detergent and didn't really want to use any harsh chemicals to make the dishes shiny.

Similar to Stitchnripper, I decided to pour vinegar into the cup where I normally put the DW detergent and closed the cap. Then, poured vinegar into the open cup where I normally put DW detergent... BUT, then I decided to go even further and dumped several cups of vinegar into the bottom of the DW and put it through a complete cycle.

Much to my DELIGHT, my dishes came out sparkling. Now, in every load, I filled the cap that closes with DW detergent and pour about a cup of vinegar into the bottom of my DW. I am absolutely lovin' my sparkling dishes. Ahhhhh, clean, shiny dishes are such a delight! :)

violets4me123 04-10-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 5123563)
I just paid a plumber $175 to snake my kitchen drain and he told me to NEVER use any commercial drain opener in any of the drains, just use baking soda & vinegar and make sure the baking soda is dissolved before pouring down the drain or it will just form lumps and not work. The same for toilets.

Just made a note of this information. Thank you!!!

violets4me123 04-10-2012 04:26 PM

Thank you!!!

violets4me123 04-10-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5126286)
About a week ago I finally got pretty disgusted with the cloudiness of my dishes after they had been washed in our somewhat new DW. It is not a top of the line but it is new enough that I felt it shouldn't be happening. DH said it was the hardness of our well water. I have only used Cascade DW detergent and didn't really want to use any harsh chemicals to make the dishes shiny.

Similar to Stitchnripper, I decided to pour vinegar into the cup where I normally put the DW detergent and closed the cap. Then, poured vinegar into the open cup where I normally put DW detergent... BUT, then I decided to go even further and dumped several cups of vinegar into the bottom of the DW and put it through a complete cycle.

Much to my DELIGHT, my dishes came out sparkling. Now, in every load, I filled the cap that closes with DW detergent and pour about a cup of vinegar into the bottom of my DW. I am absolutely lovin' my sparkling dishes. Ahhhhh, clean, shiny dishes are such a delight! :)

Thank you!!!

LadyLuck 04-10-2012 07:33 PM

I put the vinegar in a small bowl and put it on the top shelf of dishwasher. Works great.

Ruby the Quilter 04-10-2012 08:16 PM

Tried the vinegar today and it was great. The inside of the dishwasher even looked better.