Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ants!!! Is there anything we can do aside from bait traps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ants-there-anything-we-can-do-aside-bait-traps-t219406.html)

Caswews 04-19-2013 06:22 AM

I use cheap Cinnamon from Wal Mart , works wonders and I also put it in/around new plants when planting. Works wonders.

solstice3 04-19-2013 06:29 AM

we take grits with us camping and treat the ground.... no ants!!! it would probably work inside as well and it is a lot cheaper than pesticides

tlstick 04-19-2013 06:54 AM

ants

Originally Posted by prism99 (Post 6009185)
my husband set out several underneath my computer. Later found a colony *underneath* the paper the traps were set out on! There are several places in the house where there seem to be colonies. They're just normal-looking ants (not super small or super big). When they bite me on the back, though, they leave huge red welts, so i suppose i am allergic.

Help???

now my spelling leaves a lot to be desired but this works! Ditomachaches earth. It used be be used in swimming pool filters but now you can buy it at lawn and garden centers. All natural. It really works

Slow2Sew 04-19-2013 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6011135)
Borax will kill them also. Be careful where you put anything if you have pets.

We have success with a small amount of borax mixed with 1/4 cup of honey. Just drop a small amount at various points on their path. Our problem was especially bad, so it took two treatments.

As Jingle said, please do be careful not to place this anywhere if pets may come into contact with it.

Prism99 04-19-2013 09:59 AM

Well, we have a cat and most of the areas with ants are carpeted -- so that limits us somewhat. I am going to check out all the suggestions, though. Thanks!

MadP 04-19-2013 10:00 AM

I know of someone that uses baby powder.

Teacup 04-19-2013 03:23 PM

Another vote here for borax, I've mixed it with sugar and sprinkled it around entry points into the house and into ant trails. They take it back to the nest and it kills them. But do keep out of reach of pets!

liese 04-19-2013 05:16 PM

Ants tend to be attracted to water. Is there somewhere that water is leaking in causing them to make colonies. I only know this because I had a coffee maker that leaked and the water ran under the counter-top microwave. When I moved the microwave there were hundreds of ants. Once we killed them off and dried up the counter they were totally gone. Look for wet areas and good luck.

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6009185)
My husband set out several underneath my computer. Later found a colony *underneath* the paper the traps were set out on! There are several places in the house where there seem to be colonies. They're just normal-looking ants (not super small or super big). When they bite me on the back, though, they leave huge red welts, so I suppose I am allergic.

Help???

MothrNatr 04-19-2013 06:17 PM

I found that it was great to wash my floors with hot water and vinegar and then my counters with vinegar. I then sprinkle the counter (where they walk across on their way to the sink), with baking soda. Apparently it is like walking on glass for them. I did add the dome baits and sprayed the outside of the house. I try not to leave anything in the sink and with all of this, was able to rid them. Preventative spraying in the spring helps before they come in. I find them more prevalent in rainier springs.

suechem 04-19-2013 06:47 PM

Ortho makes a peanut butter poison in a round container. The only place I can find it is at Home Depot. It is safe to use around pets. It claims to kill the queen. It is the only thing that has worked for me.