Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any computer geeks? Need to get rid of 2 trojans.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-computer-geeks-need-get-rid-2-trojans-t123714.html)

Naturalmama 05-17-2011 06:31 AM

I've been paying for McAfee for years and just noticed on their latest scan that they discovered 2 trojans. I scanned again to see if they had gotten rid of them, but apparently they're still there. So I downloaded Aro 2011 and ran that, which led me to download STOPzilla, which found one trojan - but when I asked it to remove it it asked me for a payment. SO - do I have to pay more $$ or is there a free program out there that will actually find and remove these guys?? (the one that STOPzilla found was at least relatively low risk, but I have no idea about the other one)

oatw13 05-17-2011 06:33 AM

If these scans are giving you the file name of the trojan, you can google "remove <trojan name>". You can usually find several posts from tech forums that tell you how to remove them.

Good luck.

As a side note, I run certain programs that are not trojans, but McAfee identifies them as such. These programs aren't perfect by any means.

MissSandra 05-17-2011 06:44 AM

I would contact mcaffe for there support they should help you with out cost.

RUSewing 05-17-2011 07:23 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free virus protector from Microsoft. My brother who is a computer geek, told me about it. It's on the Microsoft site.

scowlkat 05-17-2011 07:25 AM

Try downloading AVG free. They have a version you can buy if you want but I have been running the free version for years and it catches everything! Also know that some trojan viruses HAVE to be removed manually by going into some pretty scary places (config.sys, etc.) so be careful and if you are not very computer literate, find someone who is to help you.

lisainmo 05-17-2011 07:27 AM

My friend just had a bunch of trojans..they went to WalMart and bought a program called Kopesky and ran it cleared it all up. However if you are paying for McAfee I would contact them and see if they can help you first.

Sweeterthanwine 05-17-2011 07:38 AM

I had a virus in my computer when I had McAfee and I called them to find out why they hadn't cleared it. They told me the program I had only found the virus but not clear it unless I paid more $$. I cancelled McAfee and went to Norton and they always clear my virus when it is detected.

Chasing Hawk 05-17-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
I would contact mcaffe for there support they should help you with out cost.

That isn't always true.
Norton was or is famous for this, even though you pay for the yearly fees, they still want to charge you for virus removal. We use AVAST and have been for several years. Never once have had an issue other than the occasional conflict with not being able to send email. But browsing their tech forum it was easily fixed.

It throws up a bio hazard sign and an alarm goes off if a Trojan or virus is attempting to get in.

Tropical 05-17-2011 11:31 AM

I have Trend Micro Titanium and it works great. It identifies and removes everything. It also gives instant notices when something like a trojan is attempting to get into my computer. The techs are very nice to work with if I need them. One even downloaded Firefox for me when I told him I was having problems with Internet Explorer. I hope you are able to get it fixed. I used to have McAfee and didn't care for it. Norton isn't a favorite of mine, either. We used that at the school district I used to teach for and the techs had to correct many things that Norton didn't.