Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any Famous Ancestors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-famous-ancestors-t52226.html)

missgigglewings 07-04-2010 01:54 PM

My great-great grandmother and Frank LLoyd Wrights Grandmother were sisters. I don't even know what that means, but we do have an old black and white picture of the 3 of them when he was 8 years old.

Alu_Rathbone 07-04-2010 02:02 PM

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

So she was FLW's great aunt?

Honey 07-04-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by dottie
Davy Crockett on my mothers side.
Dottie

Davy Crocket on my fathers side!! His mother and my grandmother were cousins. Hi coz!!

missgigglewings 07-04-2010 07:11 PM

RE: So she was FLW's great aunt?

Thats the way I figured it too! I never knew why I have always had such in interest in Architecture until my grandmother showed me that picture. It was her mother on the porch with the 2 of them. I guess its in the gene pool! Even though I am not crazy about his angular buildings! They don't look very comfortable or homey.lol

JJs 07-04-2010 07:28 PM

I have always wondered how many people would actually own up to the fact that: their gr-gr-gr-grandmother was a "lady of the evening" out west and she followed the gold miners....

or how many people in Australia own up to their ancestors being from a prison ship....

or if they came from "the house of the rising son" etc....

Sharon - NC 07-04-2010 09:02 PM

The Ark and the Dove were the first two ships that landed in Maryland. Ancestors on my father's side came over at that time. We have a map showing land they were given, and it comprised MOST of Prince George's County, Maryland (borders D.C.) Literally thousands of acres. How I wish I owned a little corner of it still .. some valuable real estate there!

On my mother's side, we had a Scots sea captain who brought the family over during the potato famine. Later, we had a rebel sea captain that ran the blockades during the civil war and died when the ship was shot down in the Mississippi. Again, some family wealth and lots of property along the river in Baltimore, owned almost all of what is now Martin Marietta Airport, but alcoholics drank up all the $ and lost the property. The story is he'd get drunk every night and the bar owner would tie him to his horse and the horse would take him home. I guess it beats drinkingi and driving. Lots of war heros in the McDonald line of the family (Mother's side, Scots). Family story is that it was the responsibility of one of ours to hoist the flag at Fort McHenry during the battle when Francis Scott Key wrote the Start Spangled Banner. Can't verify, but the story's been told through all the years. Baltimore roots back to its beginning on mother's and father's side. Live in NC now. Sure miss the water!
;)

kbiederman 07-04-2010 10:14 PM

My daughter is a cousin to (her paternal grandfather is his first cousin) Garrison Keillor. I don't know how famous he is around the country, but is quite well known in Minnesota. He started with a radio show, and books about living and growing up "Up North". More recently, he wrote and starred in "A Prairie Home Companion" with Meryl Streep, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones, etc. I don't know much about my own ancestory, but I've heard the Heinz 57 mentioned quite a few times!

ghostrider 07-05-2010 04:33 AM

Daniel Webster would be my most famous ancestor; Statesman, Orator, and member of the Senate's "Famous Five". My ancestors arrived in New England in 1629 and have been in this part of New Hampshire since it's settlement. Deep roots in this granite soil. ;-)

Leota 07-05-2010 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Honey

Originally Posted by dottie
Davy Crockett on my mothers side.
Dottie

Davy Crocket on my fathers side!! His mother and my grandmother were cousins. Hi coz!!

I had a professor in college who was a great great? nephew of Davy Crocket..

KarenSimon 07-05-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
My great-great grandmother and Frank LLoyd Wrights Grandmother were sisters. I don't even know what that means, but we do have an old black and white picture of the 3 of them when he was 8 years old.

I think that is second cousins once removed. Any other genealogists out there?