Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any one have Hand Surgery ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-one-have-hand-surgery-t173553.html)

QuiltnLady1 12-28-2011 07:23 PM

Any one have Hand Surgery ??

I just got back from the orthopedist (went for a shot) and they told me I need surgery to replace the joint at the base of my thumbs on both hands. I was wondering if anyone on the board has had the surgery -- how it went and how much mobility you have afterwards...

I am thinking of having the first surgery on the left hand to see how it goes and then having it on the right...

Thanks....

Tink's Mom 12-28-2011 07:43 PM

I have had carpel tunnel surg. on both hands...I have good mobility, except for the arthritis that is getting worse...
I recommend getting an excellent surgeon that specializes in hands...
The recovery is difficult..and painful at times....but well worth it in the end. I had let my hands go too long and have some permanant nerve damage. But, I am very grateful for all the mobility and feeling that I have.

Prism99 12-28-2011 07:46 PM

I am very interested in this topic, as I have the beginnings of osteoarthritis in the thumb joints. This is *very* different from carpal tunnel (which I also have) and much scarier.

Tartan 12-28-2011 08:10 PM

I think you have the right approach. Get the surgery done in your non-dominant hand first. This will allow you to see how long it takes to recover and if you get full mobility and less pain. Definately investigate for someone who specializes in hand surgery.

GreatStarter 12-28-2011 08:36 PM

Years ago a friend ( who was a decorative painter) had those lower thumb joints replaced. For her it ended up being a good choice. However find a surgeon who specializes in this particular surgery. Then talk to real patients of that surgeon and find out pros and cons and how happy they are with that particular doc. Also I think trying it on your non-dominate hand first is very smart. Good luck.

Kat

QuiltnLady1 12-28-2011 09:43 PM

Thanks. The thumb joints hurt like the devil, but I can use them. I don't want to do anything to loose the functionality I noow have but I would like to be able to do some hand work (like finishing the binding, knittiing, embroidering, etc) without almost crying from holding a needle.

ChaiQuilter 12-29-2011 07:23 PM

Get a second opinion and then a third opinion!

EmbQuilt 12-30-2011 08:48 PM

I am watching as I am going to have my right hand - dominant hand done in the early spring. My left isn't anywhere near as bad as the right. I got shots in each joint. I was told they would take cartilage from my arm and turn it into something similar to the outer layer of bologna! Lol yup bologna is what the nurse said

QuiltnLady1 12-31-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt (Post 4826070)
I am watching as I am going to have my right hand - dominant hand done in the early spring. My left isn't anywhere near as bad as the right. I got shots in each joint. I was told they would take cartilage from my arm and turn it into something similar to the outer layer of bologna! Lol yup bologna is what the nurse said

That is exactly what I am going to have to have done. After talking to my regular doctor (he confirmed both hands are equally bad), I will be waiting until early 2013. DH has had eye surgery and other issues this year and needs to get so he can drive and assume some of the household chores. In addition, we have some young DGS that I want to be able to cuddle a little more while they are small.

The procedure is called Ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition arthroplasty. I have to have a serious discussion about pain meds before the surgery since I am allergic to the meds they nromally use. I have read that the pain can last up to 12 weeks so I need to have some potential backup.

This is the best description that I have found of what the surgery entails.
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw003.htm

nativetexan 12-31-2011 09:33 AM

Featherweight just had her second hand done but I'm not sure she gets in this forum much anymore. I need my right thumb done and almost called the Doctor about it but talked to Featherweight and decided now is not the time. It takes a long time to heal.
after reading this "When the problem has caused the thumb to draw into the palm (thumb adduction contracture), surgery does not usually bring it back out, especially if the next joint further out on the thumb has stretched out and bent backward (thumb carpometacarpal hyperextension deformity)" it doesn't look good for me . that is what my thumbs are doing.