Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any remedy for fleas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-remedy-fleas-t143882.html)

shortstuff 08-09-2011 12:07 PM

Can anyone give me a solution to get ride of fleas in the home?

janallyn 08-09-2011 12:21 PM

my dog does have drops, but in the past when he did not, i put borax, like 20 mule team, in the corners of each room,along the base boards, under the sofa and its cushions, under anything i could, it did not solve the problem, but it sure helped, i guess they breath thru their little disgusting legs, and then it clogs them up and they die or dry up or something. i do not nor did not have cats tho, so i do not know if it will cause a problem with a cat, love um just do not have them. it worked better than the stuff that you sprinkle on the floor and pay to much for, i would also sprinkle just plain old baking soda on the rest of the carpet before i vacumned and left it there for at least thirty minutes, then around the edges with a shop vac about once a week, and then reapplied it. it really kept them down, and worked as best as something like that can. flea bombs did not work at all, the grandmotherly type told me to do the above and it seemed to work. my dog is a house dog, tho he is way to big to be one, but he is a wimp, so i also treated my lawn with ortho or something, do not remember, it really did not help much. pm me and i will tell you all i did, florida must be the flea capitol of the united states, lol, so i do have some ideas

jan in palatka

mom-6 08-09-2011 12:25 PM

When we moved into a house years ago that had a horrible flea infestation, the landlord had the Orkin man come out three times to fully take care of the problem. The carpet and drapes (which were already there before we moved in) were both involved. The previous tenant had apparently been an eccentric old fellow with a zillion dogs in the house. The three trips were to take care of the emerging generations of fleas that appeared after the initial spraying.

It is my understanding that most 'home remedies' are not usually strong enough to take care of a really serious infestation.

Good luck!

I will add that the Borax mentioned above works well for 'water bugs', also called palmeto bugs or giant roaches. Have not tried it for fleas.

hobo2000 08-09-2011 12:32 PM

Get Diatomaceous Earth from the pet store and rub it into the dogs coat. Will not hurt animals as it is used to get rid of worms in animals. Sprinkle where he lays and sleeps and wherever you find they are biting your ankles. Takes about a week to 10 days to kill them and their eggs.

Barbshobbies 08-09-2011 12:37 PM

My daughter had the Orkin man because the animal with flees live there, cost was too much for me. I put amonia in a spray bottle covered most of my head, shut all the windows and sprayed as fast as I could, then ran out of the house. Came back in 1 hour, and I had the best smelling house ever, no smell of amonia either. Our flees came from a short visit with the little flee bag. They never came back. (the flees)

irishrose 08-09-2011 12:53 PM

Borax and salt mixed for the carpets did seem to work, but the best was Cedarcide, from cedar trees. I ordered it online. It can be sprayed on the animals, too.

janallyn 08-09-2011 01:01 PM

i agree with the three that followed me,they are correct, also that if you use cedar mulch, especially in my area of florida, the fleas seem to thrive on it, there is some much sand in all of florida that it is hard to keep a handle on them,

jan in palatka

Sewing Joe 08-09-2011 02:19 PM

We had a horrible infestation when we moved into this house 6 years ago. We bug bombed the entire house, including the basement, 3-4 times before the little devils were gone.

Stitchnripper 08-09-2011 02:35 PM

http://www.pestop.com/content/fleas-indoors

We have had good luck with these products. I don't know if you can get them where you are. We used something called Talstar in the yard and we never had fire ants or fleas on our big dog.

Tink's Mom 08-09-2011 02:36 PM

THe problem is that you need to redo it for a few weeks in order to get the adults, emerging generation and then the eggs.