Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any suggestions for my 6 dining room chairs???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-suggestions-my-6-dining-room-chairs-t33158.html)

henryparrish76 01-04-2010 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 6 of these chairs for my dining room table. They have become an eyesore and I want to change them up a bit. I don't want to completely cover them in fabric as I have seen some people do, was thinking more along the lines of covering up the wicker back and the seat maybe. What can I do?

Any suggestions? All suggestions are welcomed!

amma 01-04-2010 04:55 PM

You could cover them both with matching fabric...how easy will the backs come off???

MadQuilter 01-04-2010 04:57 PM

1. Does the wood color work for you? If not, take out the seat/cover the weave and spray paint it black or white.

2. Reupholster the seat. That is so easy to do with a staple gun.

3. Replace the weave with an upholstered piece of plywood to fit the opening exactly. It could be done in a coordinating fabric to the seat.

BKinCO 01-04-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
1. Does the wood color work for you? If not, take out the seat/cover the weave and spray paint it black or white.

3. Replace the weave with an upholstered piece of plywood to fit the opening exactly. It could be done in a coordinating fabric to the seat.

I'm wondering if you could pad the plywood and put a quilt-like back on the chairs....you could even quilt something to put there, or just make it a padded seat back to match the cushion!

henryparrish76 01-04-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by amma
You could cover them both with matching fabric...how easy will the backs come off???

You mean the wicker part? They will come off but its a pain to get them back in. I had the wicker repaired a few years ago and it took 20 minutes to get the things to go back into the frame.

henryparrish76 01-04-2010 05:01 PM

I love the wood, just not crazy about the wicker anymore.

henryparrish76 01-04-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO

I'm wondering if you could pad the plywood and put a quilt-like back on the chairs....you could even quilt something to put there, or just make it a padded seat back to match the cushion!

hmmm that has possibilities.............

BKinCO 01-04-2010 05:07 PM

Just an additional thought~~if you were to cover the back of the chair, don't forget to do something to "cover" the backside, if that makes sense. You would want a finished side showing.

BKinCO 01-04-2010 05:08 PM

Oh, and btw, HP~~where in NC are you? I'm from Greensboro originally...

henryparrish76 01-04-2010 05:09 PM

Oh, and btw, HP~~where in NC are you? I'm from Greensboro originally...

I currently reside just on the outskirts of Raleigh, but I was born and raised in the rural areas of Edgecombe and Pitt Counties.