Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone else putting their gardens to bed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-else-putting-their-gardens-bed-t152199.html)

terry leffler 09-11-2011 02:50 PM

After Hurricane Irene came through, most of my gardens, which were starting to die off, basically were whipped. So, we're starting to cut the gardens back & put them to bed for the long winter months here in NY.
I'm also drying any herbs that made it.
Does anyone here start this early?
What are some of the things you normally do?
Terry on LI in NY

karenpatrick 09-11-2011 02:53 PM

We mow everything down and then till it all under. Next spring we will till again and then replant. Although next spring we are only growing flowers due to drought the last 2 summers. No point in planting veggies. We live in the country and are on a well so we can't water everything that we grow.

melissa Dove 09-11-2011 02:58 PM

I garden in the south east of england,I have been digging out plants and saving seeds for next sprinhg, ina few weeks the dahlia and tender plants like geraniums will be lifted and taken indoors.Last winter was the coldest for years and I lost quite a few large plants like my 15ft palm. i'm hoping it won't be so bad this winter.

blueangel 09-11-2011 02:58 PM

My garden was gone early this year due to the drough and hot weather.

meemersmom 09-11-2011 03:03 PM

I usually don't start quite this early, but with all the storm damage you've had, you're better off --- damaged, stressed out plants are more prone to disease.

marknfran 09-11-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by terry leffler
After Hurricane Irene came through, most of my gardens, which were starting to die off, basically were whipped. So, we're starting to cut the gardens back & put them to bed for the long winter months here in NY.
I'm also drying any herbs that made it.
Does anyone here start this early?
What are some of the things you normally do?
Terry on LI in NY

I might as well; the deer have been taking over. they ate all of my zuchini and cukes (never knew they would eat a cuke).

QuiltnCowgirl 09-11-2011 03:07 PM

LOL Mine never got out of bed. I have the blackest thumb.

quiltingcandy 09-11-2011 03:22 PM

We go year round in San Diego. It is just a matter of what you want to plant for the coming season. The bad part is, we never get the wonderful wild flowers they get in other parts of the world.

Ruby the Quilter 09-11-2011 03:36 PM

I have pulled up some plants in the garden and think I'll pick the rest of the tomatoes and pull up the plants and get it done. It has been so hot and dry gardening hasn't worked this year.

Cyn 09-11-2011 03:37 PM

My gardens are done but it's been too hot to work them over. Irene kept us working to clear the yard of trees, bushes and debris so I need a little break :)