Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone going grey fir the first time? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-going-grey-fir-first-time-t275666.html)

mike'sgirl 02-12-2016 06:36 PM

I'm 51 and just now starting with some noticeable gray. I hope im taking after my granny, who in her late 70's still was salt and peppy ( like Jan said ) lol! I really don't want to start coloring my hair, I've only done it once. It's just too much trouble, but I don't like the idea of going gray.

lynnie 02-12-2016 08:40 PM

i'm 56 and was born with white hair. at 50 most of my hair was white, except for a small patch on the back top side of my head. That is dark! I dye all of my hair very light blond to cover the white. I do it at home for $2.97 (Walmart).
You can't tell the difference. It's cheap and gives me a bit of color from all that white. Not a grey hair on my head, just WHITE! Both of my grandparents were white by the time they were 50.

ctrysass2012 02-12-2016 09:30 PM

Dad was salt & pepper at 86, Mom was mostly salt at 40. I'll be 60 this yr & am taking after Dad which makes me happy. I have not wanted to color my hair. I have cousins who have been coloring for years & now want to quit but are not sure how to go about that.

CRO 02-12-2016 09:51 PM

I started getting pretty gray in my early 50s. Let it go until I decided i really hated how uneven it was. Got it colored my former natural color with a few highlights. When I got home that first day my husband said " I really like your hair. You were starting to look old" You should have seen his face as soon as the words left his mouth!! LOL
Love him to death even with his lack of tact. :)

lucky_alf2 02-12-2016 10:59 PM

I just colored my greys for the first time last week -- and did low lights like Chester, looks great and so natural :)

DOTTYMO 02-12-2016 11:11 PM

I'm in my 60's and while working I never had time to go to the hairdresser so changed colour naturally. I was auburn and I got more white streaks than gray. Back of head still slight colour with grey front white with auburn streaks. My texture has gone from very course to a softer version.
The hairdresser says it is a lovely colour, personally I just like it to keep in shape and not fly about.

DebbieJJ 02-13-2016 02:30 AM

When I was younger, I would get highlights in my light brown hair. But now that I'm 59, I have more gray than my 79 yr. old mom......She doesn't color her hair, and she has about 10-15 gray hairs!

Sandygirl 02-13-2016 02:36 AM

I started going grey in my 30's. Grrrr!

Mary O 02-13-2016 03:18 AM

Have salt n pepper,mostly salt now but get complemented.Stopped coloring my hair when studies showed the darker dyes caused cancer and just couldn't bare the cost anymore.My husband doesn't mind and I can buy lots of fabric with the extra money I now save.

Fizzle 02-13-2016 04:58 AM

Grey roots! Not attractive... Tried going natural due to chemical reaction. Held out for almost 1 year. No more. I FELT older and I did not enjoy it. And the lighter highlights, well to me, on me, they look old?? Back to coloring. Cover up the grey and this year I am kicking it up a bit. Throwing in some "color". Red. Pink. Green. Blue. Just a touch. Letting hairdresser do what she thinks would be fun with cut and color. She's younger, modern, and cute so I feel safe :). And she knows me.... Besides, It's only hair. It will grow out and back and I am excited to welcome the change in my life. Mix it up!!!! I am 56