Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone have a Bernina 1230? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-have-bernina-1230-a-t127157.html)

so-sew 06-01-2011 04:56 AM

I'm curious if anyone could relay info on what they like or dislike about the 1230. Has it needed repair? It's computerized, but doesn't have the "screen"....does that increase it's longevity in comparison to a newer computerized Bernina? Thanks. :)

patchsamkim 06-01-2011 05:40 AM

I have a Bernina 1230...and love it...have had no problems with it...just have routine cleanings done on it. I bought it about 20 years ago when I wanted a machine that does the blanket stitch...I have done a LOT of blanket stitching...haven't worn it out yet. It is a workhorse of a machine, and easy to operate. I will never get rid of it!

so-sew 06-01-2011 05:47 AM

Greetings to you patchsamkim! We are virtually neighbors. :-P

Lacelady 06-01-2011 06:45 AM

I've had mine from new, probably at least 20 years. I've only had maintenance done on it, but the light switch has given up. It was going to be fairly involved to get it replaced (a 250 trip both ways, and then back to collect it), so I bought a Bendable light to fix to it instead, which I actually prefer as its brighter and adjustable for position. Other than that, it's been a real workhorse and I intend to keep it. (I got a 730E 4 years ago, but I still piece on this one, because I don't have to wait for it to boot up as I do with the 730).

jgangloff 06-01-2011 06:50 AM

I bought mine used about eight years ago and haven't had any problems with it. It's now over 20 years old because the parts are out of warranty. I try to have it serviced every year but that ends up being every two or three years! Where does the time go. I did have a part replaced this past year. The total cost was a little over $200 dollars but that included the yearly cleaning/servicing. My only complaint is the weight of it. I finally bought a smaller and lighter machine to take to class. It would be nice to have one of the new machines with all the bells and whistles but mine keeps chugging along and does everything I need it to do. I quilt smaller quilts on it but send bed-size ones to a longarmer.

patchsamkim 06-05-2011 09:36 AM

I do agree it is a heavy machine...but I have a rolling case I put it in when I am taking it somewhere to sew, so only have to lift it up and down stairs, and roll it the rest of way.

So Sew...yes...we are sort of "neighbors"...I am in NE Appleton!

Emmy Sue 06-05-2011 09:41 AM

My 1230 was bought new and has never given me a problem. I love it and it has sewn everything from window awnings, boat seat covers, baby clothes and evening gowns. I'll never get rid of it.

quiltpd 06-05-2011 02:08 PM

I bought mine used about 10 years ago. I LOVE it. It has only gotten a"well" machine servicing.