Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Is anyone here an expert with house plants? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-here-expert-house-plants-t192311.html)

DonnaC 06-20-2012 11:30 AM

Is anyone here an expert with house plants?

I need help! I received a bunch of live plants when my Mom passed away in April, and I am feeling pressure to keep them alive (sounds weird, I know, but it's true). I am in no way, shape or form acquainted with house plants, as I have never been a "plant person". There weren't even name tags on any of them, so I have no idea what they are!

I tried googling websites to identify the plants and see what I need to do with them, but it was pretty complicated and I got nowhere.

I have taken photos of all the plants, and I will post them here if anyone offers to help me out with identifying them. A couple of them, I think, are already half-dead, but I would try to nurse them back to life if it could be done!

RedGarnet222 06-20-2012 11:34 AM

I am no expert, but, I might be able to help you out if you post a pic or two. There is a site called dave's garden that you might be able to get some help there too. I used to use it all the time when I was landscaping around my home. (They do have a houseplant section there.)

QuiltnNan 06-20-2012 02:22 PM

i manage to kill all my houseplants. but i think that keeping the humidity up a little helps. i've always had a very dry home

DonnaC 06-20-2012 03:01 PM

Here are the pictures!

6 Attachment(s)
If anybody knows what any of these plants are called, I'd love to know, so I can find out how to take care of them.

The last picture is the one I think is already pretty dead. The leaves are really thin, almost papery, and there are only a few leaves left on the branches. Most of the ones you see in this picture have fallen off already.

jbud2 06-20-2012 03:29 PM

I think I've had of them at some point. My Mother called the pink one a "pocket book plant" - don't why. The other green ones I;ve got in those dish gardens you get from the florists. I remember to water them every now and then.. . . right now, I have them sitting on the back porch in the shade. They haven't complained yet . . .

bnlmom 06-20-2012 04:00 PM

the one on the top row,all the way to the right is a dieffenbachia.

decky 06-20-2012 04:02 PM

I don't know the names of the plants but have had several of them. I just water my plants when the top soil is dry and try to give them some light every day. My plants seem to like the morning sun the best. Why don't you go to a flower shop with your pictures then you will be sure to do what is right for them.

Pat in MN

elseebee 06-20-2012 04:07 PM

I'm not an expert, but I recognize most of your plants. I went to this website:
http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/...pedia-a-z.html
You'll find them there. I see an arrowhead, polka dot plant, dumbcane, schefflera, and I'm not sure about the last two (but the next to the last looks like a corn plant).
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. I lost mine a couple of years ago and so understand how you feel about those plants. Good luck!

aronel 06-20-2012 05:06 PM

1. Arrowhead Philadendron (I think) 2. Caladium 3. Diffenbachia 4. Scheffalera (Umbrella Plant) 5. Unknown 6. Unknown. Water all when dry - give miracle grow as directed on box. Indirect sun. Hope this helps. So sorry for your loss. Good luck on the plants.

LynnVT 06-20-2012 05:18 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. My mom passed away about 8 years ago, and I know how much you want to hold on to her through her things. If you don't want to keep the plants, though, you might find good homes for some of them. These don't seem to be terribly difficult plant to keep, so as mentioned, don't overwater, just give them a bright place to live where they seem natural in your home.
Lynn